Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chestnuts  (Read 2519 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Chestnuts
« on: December 21, 2016, 09:47:46 pm »
For those that don;t have your own trees (or in my case they're still too young).. have you seen the silly price in the shops? And worse they're imported!
So stick 3 or 4 in a  pot and see how they do. I did this a couple of years ago and added 5 more saplings to the collection. If you don't live long enough you're kids will still thank you.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Chestnuts
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 10:39:29 am »
I planted one two winters ago!
But I chose a specific variety which grows relatively small and starts fruiting in its second year - which it did! It only had one fruit though lol but the tree itself is just one stick!
Wild chestnuts which you find in the UK have three little nuts in a kernel. The one I planted is called "marron de lyon" and has one large nut in a kernel - just like the ones in shops.
Wanted to add a walnut as well. Again not the wild one but a specific variety which is self fertile, grows small and starts fruiting early.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 11:22:43 am »
I've just started planting a few acorns and horse chestnuts to increase the woodland area on my farmland. Chestnuts sound ideal - I like the idea of the 'marron de lyon'!

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 11:41:57 am »
http://www.walnuttrees.co.uk/shop/sweet-chestnut/
Have a look at that website. Although they are expensive you can have a look at several very good varieties suited to the UK climate. Then look for the same ones on other websites for much less money  ;)
If you plants several varieties or the wilde ones nearby they will cross pollinate and increase the overall yield of fruits/nuts.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 02:50:14 pm »
I inititally bought 2 such fast varieties when we moved here.. but with plenty of room I just sowed some chestnust left over froma  christmas lot bought in supermarket..one the theory that cheap enough and hopefully will grow to type. All germinated and  5 were big enough to plant out last year..another slower one will get planted out this year. For some reason there's no sweet chestnut wild in my immediate area. It just annoys me that we import this sort of thing when perfectly capabe of growing it..like french apples ffs.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 03:22:34 pm »
I inititally bought 2 such fast varieties when we moved here.. but with plenty of room I just sowed some chestnust left over froma  christmas lot bought in supermarket..one the theory that cheap enough and hopefully will grow to type. All germinated and  5 were big enough to plant out last year..another slower one will get planted out this year. For some reason there's no sweet chestnut wild in my immediate area. It just annoys me that we import this sort of thing when perfectly capabe of growing it..like french apples ffs.

They wouldn't be french apples then  :eyelashes:

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 03:40:35 pm »

They wouldn't be french apples then  :eyelashes:

Thay are when imported from france :)

Like the age old advert "For Sale a Grand Piano by a Lady with carved wooden legs"

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS