Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: iin need of help asap im in fife and have a problem  (Read 6806 times)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: iin need of help asap im in fife and have a problem
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 11:13:16 pm »
 Before you waste any more time on this "person?" folks - have you forgotten the previous posts?

"Anyone got any Japanese knotweed for sale? My hens love it and my landlord is ecstatic about the possibility of it destroying his house."

"My granny and I fancy keeping bees. Anyone got a complete bee keeping set up available that we can have cheap or pay on instalments(!!) To include bees, up to 4 hives, 2 sets of protective clothing, and everything else needed"

"I'm spending a month (in February) not buying any food, Can't get any work to exchange for food, and cannot travel far as only have a bus pass." So why bother? you may ask; and why do it in Feb anyway? But if he's got a bus pass then he must be at least 65, so you'd think granny would be a bit old to start keeping bees.

"My neighbour is complaining about my bird table because the birds are pooping on his trampoline"

"My cats have 4 times raided a thrush's nest. They don't kill the babies but just bring them inside. . . . "  What remarkably resilient baby thrushes to be constantly carried around by a cat and yet suffer no harm. And what amazingly gentle (and unnatural) cats not to just maul and eat them.

I suggested he was a troll last time. I think the offers of help some of you have made are amazing but I'm pretty sure there may be better causes.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 05:36:23 am »
most of the posts mentioned are years old and what dose it matter im only trying to help the quail be safe and i have helped out quite a few people on here and help where i can im building a hen run for ellied so please back off [/size] landroverroy i have done nothing wrong

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 10:32:45 am »
Nope, not a troll Roy, just young and on a steep learning curve, sometimes through mistakes like having too many quail hatch to cope with.

Personally, I can forgive that. In any case, it's always better to ask for advice than to battle on in silence.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 01:44:47 pm »
 Womble - "You're a better man than I am Gungerdin."!

I'm afraid I don't have your patience with someone who every few months comes up with a different crisis that he has fabricated. Ok, it's harmless but I do think he is taking advantage of people on here who go to endless trouble with suggestions to help him out of his imaginary crises. Why even in that stupid "I'm going for a month without buying food, just to prove I can." - someone sent him a food parcel! That was SO good of them - but it doesn't seem right to exploit someone's good nature like that. It was maybe the mention of a bus pass on this one that got people feeling sorry for him - but I'd be interested to know how you qualify for one when you're only 28!

Ok - take the present "crisis". You made a perfectly feasible suggestion of using cardboard boxes. Brilliant idea. Boxes are free and readily available. Ideal solution to separate the birds out into manageable groups. But no - he still has to bleat on about all the difficulties and transport etc instead of actually getting some boxes and sorting the (imaginary?) problem out.

He says he has a shed to put them in but it needs "winterising". These are birds for heavens sake- not tender tropical plants! (That reminds me - look up the "Where can I buy Plantains? fiasco!). I presume this is the same shed he was going to use for the  "lets start a feed club" brainwave that fell on stony ground! But if this shed exists then it must be fairly sound and ratproof so would be a suitable place to put the birds. 

Just look again at the beginning of this fairy tale. Notice the bleat about not realising how many quail he would get out? What a load of rubbish! When 3 years ago he was on about his incubator and how he had hatched out more than 500 turkey and quail eggs.

Ok - maybe I'm being uncharitable after all it is Christmas (ba humbug!) - so maybe we should just request that his tales get relegated to the children's stories section.
Rules are made:

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 02:17:43 pm »
Do you have a picture please as you thought they was Chinese quails then maybe a cross I have never heard of Chinese and Japanese crossing also if there Chinese and 10cm long would think they are fully grown and I have never had a problem with Chinese fighting may be able to help more if we know species

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 04:09:23 pm »
 What an absolutely amazingly good idea Adam.
 I'm sure that would be so useful also to the rest of us who might otherwise be tempted to hatch out or even buy adults of this unusually fertile and ferocious quail hybrid. Forewarned is forearmed - so they say.
Rules are made:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2016, 04:25:47 pm »
Well, quail can be 'ferocious'. Our Japanese males can be really nasty. Much,much worse than cockerels.

Colours of Japanese quail vary enormously. If you don't know much about them you might think that they were 'crosses'.

I'm feeling happy, it's Christmas. Hey Ho :merryxmas:

How are the mad quail today, demonfarmer2630?

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 02:41:41 am »
files too big so im going to post them in pastebin will put the link in here when its up plus one of my chicks just died it was fine jumped up and down then spun on its back flapping so i picked her up to see if maybe her foot was caught in her wing again which has happened befor it then convulsed spasmed and died im a little concerned they have access to fresh water and food at all times iv not seen this befor any help and there isnt a mark on her

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2016, 03:03:42 am »
http://pasteboard.co/1jeMyFld6.jpg injured hen 1
http://pasteboard.co/1jf8vwuEM.jpg injured hen 2

http://pasteboard.co/d6ow8TfVF.jpg brooder 1-1
http://pasteboard.co/d6px15At3.jpg brooder 1-2
http://pasteboard.co/1jf0YUArL.jpg brooder 2-1
http://pasteboard.co/d6s0vRpaV.jpg brooder 2-2
hope this is enough to help and stop some opinions
i was told there chinese painted quail but i think there cornix crosses?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2016, 05:23:19 pm »

Never kept quail, but don't look that young, Adult plumage? Looks like they do need more space.

Offer of houses and other materials still here. One needs a bit of ply wood nailed on the nest boxes, I forgot before.

I've a friend in Stirling keeps quail, she said they were vicious to each other, can't remember what type though. Don't know much though, never kept them.

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2016, 05:30:12 pm »
They are Chinese painted quail and most are males by there face markings I would take the females out and keep same sex groups as for landroverroy has that to be taken as a joke or a piss take

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2016, 05:32:36 pm »
I have separated what I can tell to be males but not 100%

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 07:43:50 pm »
Ok - sorry for my comments about your quail. I can see you have a genuine problem in this case.

I used to keep Chinese painted and found I could never keep more than 2 males with the females as they would kill each other. With mine the dominant male would scalp his rivals and I would just find them dead with bloody heads.

However, looking at your past posts you must agree that you have more than your fair share of crises. (?!!)
 In my book, when you keep livestock it is only fair on them to take daily notice of them and plan ahead and then emergencies are less likely to suddenly occur. For example - these quail didn't suddenly appear and start killing each other.  It might have been better, when you had such a successful hatch, to have planned then how you were going to cope with them. What were your intentions? Did you plan on selling them? (Like you said - they're a bit small to eat unless you're serving them on a cocktail stick.)
 If you'd advertised them as soon as they hatched you could have reduced them to manageable number. I always found that pet shops are happy to take them as they are small and relatively easy to look after. Do you have a local livestock market with a fur and feather sale? You could get rid of the surplus there at one fell swoop. Ok you can't at present because of the bird flu, but a few weeks earlier when you could have foreseen the problems . . . . .

What I'm trying to say is that you maybe need to take more responsibility for what goes on in your life, and with your animals and work out what you CAN do - not what you can't.  You have a shed, and you can surely get some large boxes so why not do something with what you have available, and not dwell on the limitations (eg transport)
that you don't have.

( Here I would normally add a thumbs up, smiley and Merry Christmas sign, but my smileys aren't working again.)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 07:48:01 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2016, 07:58:14 pm »
I made the mistake of thinking they would be the same as chickens I admit I wasn't prepared I have costed and planed to do the same as I did with my hens I was wrong but all is calm the now I have a few people who have said ther have a run a roll of wire and I plan to make major changes in the future I made the mistake of rushing in again my incubator Is dead so any future plans will be priced planed and researched through learning from members here to online research and I thank you all for your help and advice if only been trying to be a small holder and besides my hens I haven't really planned fools rush in and that's my fault I want to do it all at once and I screw up I hope you all can help in future as I hope to help back thank you for your advise and happy xmas

Ps Wimbledon had a great idea about boxes so I got 3 more R.U.B.S  :farmer:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2016, 08:38:04 pm »

Ps Wimbledon had a great idea about boxes so I got 3 more R.U.B.S  :farmer: .

Cool. I'm glid my odea wirked for you :wave:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS