Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moult over and a new run  (Read 3407 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Moult over and a new run
« on: June 15, 2010, 11:13:32 am »
Hi

Well my 3 ex-bats seem to be reaching the end of their spa break and moult - I got them at the start of April, they seem to have spent all of May and June in moult and now are coming out the other end - 2 of them are looking very healthy and the straggly beast is looking much perkier with wing feathers etc, although thinner and still more nervous than the others. So my question is, how long after moult would you expect egg laying to re-commence as its been pretty much nothing since they arrived and I want to give them a chance before I accept they just are not laying anymore?

Secondly, I am planning a permanent run for them as moving the run every 2 nights is not really helping the grass at all - so they may as well have a permanent home. I want it to look nice as its going to be fairly visible in my garden, so I am planning on getting 4 garden fence posts and making a kind of pergola, then running wire all the way round, putting a PVC roof on and planting flowers and bushes around the sides.

What do you think - do you have anything similar and any pics you could add on for ideas? Ive had a look through the OMlet site as they have a load of pics on there, but wondered if you had any thoughts. Also, I will then be able to make it large enough for another 5 hens - is it still the right season to get POL chickens and do you know anyone in Staffordshire who sells them? I dont want more ex-bats.

These chicken things appear to be addictive  :o  I wasnt sure I wanted any, and now 3 months in I want 5 more.  ::)

loopy

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Moult over and a new run
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 04:53:40 pm »
my chickens live in something very similar to what you've described.  I've got an area 11ft by 6ft slabbed at the base, with fence posts used to make the frame.  The roof is sloping, covered in clear corrugated plastic, and it's walk-in with the lower height about 6ft sloping up to about 7 foot at the higher end of the slope.  I had the underneath of the roof, and all sides/door covered in weldmesh, i think it was 16gauge?  was about £50-60 for a 30m roll online.  As well as small trays for the grit and shell, I have 3 omlet grubs and 2 glugs hanging from the mesh walls, which easily take the weight without flexing as the weldmesh is much better quality than the thin stuff most flat pack hen houses use.  I then have on the one end of this walk in run an omlet cube, which is mounted on the outside of the run, with the ladder running into the slabbed run if that makes sense?  means we can collect eggs and empty poo trays without going into the run - although they are free-ranging most days anyhow!!  We cover the slabbed area with 2 bin bags of wood chip, and clear it out once a month (wood chip came from two trees out of the garden that i had chopped and chipped in Oct 2008 - still not run out yet!)  They also have an old butler sink in there, which they use for dustbathing.

hope that helps ?

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 11:48:21 pm »
There is a great decription and pics of a run in the poultry section posted by womble called - our homemade chicken set up (long pic heavy)

It's really interesting. Hope that helps.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 01:58:47 pm »
Thanks. Great pics and info on that thread.

I have now hit a small snag - I have designed the run, worked out what I need to buy, found the cheapest timber supplier etc . . . and now have got stuck at the 'planning permission' stage  >:(

The place where I wanted to put my chicken run has already been reserved by my OH for his solar panels, so there is no where else where we are both happy for the chooks to go - he doesnt want a permanent run set up where its hugely visible in the garden, I dont think the place he suggested it goes is acceptable as its under trees and too shady for my ladies.  :-\

So, currently trying to convince him that the best spot is too shady for his solar panels and its them that need to move  ;)

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 11:54:26 pm »
Can't you make the roof of the chook run solid and put the solar panels om top? - Closer to the sun  ;D ;D

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 11:34:01 am »
Good idea . . . although I am not sure if it would be able to support the size of panels he requires - this is a PV array or something to provide the elec for the house.  ::)

I know men like their gadgets, but why do I get the one who goes for the extreme sized ones  ::) :P

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 06:52:46 pm »
We all think that bigger is better. Only women know the real truth  ;D  ;D

Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS