Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Strangles  (Read 3465 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Strangles
« on: June 15, 2010, 08:59:04 am »
I have bought a Shetland pony to keep Smokey company when we move to Carnoustie. I was planning to bring him to the current livery soon so that they can get to know each other before going up the road, rather than introducing them both "cold", if you like, at a place new to both of them. Comments on this would be welcomed from experienced horsekeepers - I'm just guessing that the former course of action is best.

Anyway, our current yard has introduced a new rule about testing all new horses for strangles before they are allowed on the yard. This was suggested by the vet (the cynic in me says "who gets paid to do the testing?"). Now my understanding is that strangles is unpleasant, but not dangerous to older horses, although young foals can be quite ill. Many of the horses on our yard are off competing every weekend; doesn't this kind of negate the testing rule?

I'd welcome information / comment on this, please.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Strangles
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 09:28:32 am »
I read the the new blood tests can pick up the presence of it within two weeks.  Dotheyhave a quarentine area at the yard?

Do you now the ponies history?

Hardfeather

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:08:11 am »
Personally, I think strangles should be a notifiable disease. At present there is no obligation placed on the owner(s) of infected animals to bring it to anyone's attention, so there is potential for horses to be moved around without impediment. If the disease were notifiable, there would be restrictions imposed on infected yards, and public awareness would be raised as to symptoms and treatment.

Unfortunately, there are many bacterial infections in horses which can be confused with strangles. Some of those are very similar in that they cause runny nose and swollen lymph nodes so, although strangles may be suspected, it is only identifiable in the early stages by clinical inspection of a bacterial culture. This may lead to strangles cases being mis-diagnosed by lay persons and, without the attention of a vet, going undetected and unreported, which may possibly result in infected horses coming into contact with others.

Nursing of strangles cases requires strict attention to equine and personal hygeine as it is a highly infectious disease.

On that basis, given what you say about horses going out from the yard to compete and, given that some horses can be carriers of strangles without showing symptoms, and as your shetland is only transient at the yard, it seems unlikely that testing him would be strictly necessary or sensible.  Rather, I would say a period of quarantine on arrival on the yard would do more to assess the new arrival and help prevent introduction of the disease.

On the subject of introducing the two, it may be better to bring both animals to the new place at the same time and introduce them there. That way neither will have the upper hand in terms of territorial awareness/advantage, and there should be plenty to take their attention other than hierarchy issues. Without the complications of other horses, they are likely to form a mutual bond more quickly. However, that would only be sensible if you were convinced that the new pony did not present a strangles threat.

:)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:15:51 am »
I love your posts Aengus :)

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 01:06:49 pm »
Ive always wondered when and if they do test possitive as carryers what then happens?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 09:23:31 pm »
I'm buying him (for a pound) from a good friend of mine. He's been at her stables for 7 years; her other horses don't go off the immediate area either ie they are happy hackers. I'll ask her about strangles though.

Re introcustion, there are two small adjoining paddoaks at the current yard that I was going to comandeer for introductions - one in each paddock for a few days, then they can go in together. There woudl be no other horses - so they don't chum up with anyone else. But doing it at Dalmore might be easier although it means I can't get Bugsy until a later date.

Much to consider.

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 09:36:19 pm »
I have a mare out on loan and the yard that she is kept at has just got strangles,its a foal that has got it,the yard is on a standstill and nothing is aloud on or off even hacking until tested clear,the foal has been isolated,so hopefully my mare will be fine.Every year around us its quite normal for a yard to have got strangles they all go on a compulsery standstill until clear.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS