Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken bottom clearance  (Read 2852 times)

sheli

• Joined Jun 2010
Chicken bottom clearance
« on: June 13, 2010, 02:16:48 pm »
Hello
Am a newbie chicken keeper - in fact don't even have my hens yet.

We have spent a long time discussing how to set up perches and still haven't yet come to a conclusion.

The perches need to be along the wall of the coop rather than across the width and I'm wondering how much rear clearance we need to allow the the chickens' bottoms so they're not so close to the wall that they poop down it.

We a little short on width so I need to allow the minimum space possible for their bottoms.

Thanks all.

bamford6

Re: Chicken bottom clearance
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 05:57:51 pm »
get 2 planks or 2 boards cut angles on each end so they look like a hill put rails inbetween 3 best bet you can then make a pan, wood or metal to catch the poo in

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 06:21:38 pm »
OK, I have just been out with a tape measure  ;D, and can confirm that the majority of poo falls between 5 and 6 inches from the edge of the perch. Having seen how they perch, I would allow 9 or 10 inches between the edge of the perch and the wall, for optimum tail-feather clearance  ;).

One of the best things we did was to place a sheet of coarse metal mesh underneath the perch. I've modified it a bit since this photo was taken, but the principle is the same - basically the poop all falls through the grid and into a plastic tray. They can't therefore scratch it about, which means everything stays very clean, and all you have to do is throw a handful or two of the old hemcore bedding over the poop every couple of days to absorb the moisture, and then empty the tray into the compost every few weeks.

HTH!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

sheli

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 06:09:00 pm »
Hi

Thanks for your efforts in measuring, advice and photo - we've put in about an 8" clearance so I'm hoping this will be OK as we're a bit short on width, having to have an identical perch opposite.  Hubby made perches so that hens can't get underneath them and step in poo but also so that I can lift them out easily to clean underneath.

We'll see how it works and if we need to make adjustments once hens arrive then we can.

Thanks again.

bamford6

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 09:23:05 pm »
thats a good idea il have a go at making 1 off these and see haw it terns out

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 10:26:07 pm »
My hens sit on their perches with their bums towards the middle and their beaks to the wall!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 10:53:12 pm »
I wish my hens would sit on the perches they have!They all choose to sit on the floor.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS