Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Elderflowers  (Read 4963 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Elderflowers
« on: June 03, 2010, 08:38:41 pm »
Cordials
Shake a couple of dozen or so elderflower heads to get the beetles and such like off the flower Then pinch off the whole stem and place in a bucket repair to the kitchen.Take the zest of 2 large lemon and 1 orange.A pint of fresh squeezed (This will be 8-10 depends how juicy they are and 31/2lbs of granulated sugar.I don't use Tartaric acid but some people do.
Place the flowers with as much of the green stalk removed as possible in a plastic pail along with the lemon and orange jest Pour over just to cover about a couple of litres just boiled water and cover over leave over night to get the best flavour out.Pour into a jelly bag to separate the solids  gently squeeze the bag to get all the juiceMeasure the amount of juice into a saucepan To every pint of juice add a lb of sugar and 3 tbl/spns lemon juice ( if you are using it a heaped T/spn of Tartaric acid) Heat gently to dissolve the sugar.stir now and then and remove the scum that forms gently simmer and keep remove the scum Let the cordial cool then strain through fine muslin into a clean jug Pour the cordial into sterile bottles about 11/2" from the top.Seal the bottles and store in a dark cupboard.You can freeze small icecube type boxes.To serve dilute with ice cold water to taste add an extra squeeze of lemon juice if you like the extra taste :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Re: Elderflowers
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:34:54 pm »
I do a very similar recipe George and it's bloody lovely!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 07:43:03 am »
Hey H go daft but be careful Dilute some of the cordial ready to drink and put 3 or 4 raisins and 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar dissolved in the liquid (not the washed sort of raisins) in a sterile champagne bottle and cork and wire the cork in and leave while Christmas.My word its up market cordial is that.DONT USE ORDINARY WINE BOTTLES WITHOUT YOU ARE GOOD AT DODGIN FLYING GLASS. ;D ;D and it can mek you pixilated as well ??? ;D :farmer: :wave:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 07:45:28 am by Wizard »
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 08:07:11 am »
Oh that sounds nice George and pixilating too can't be bad! Do you make elderflower champagne? I do Hugh FW recipe bloody lovely too  ;D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 03:16:19 pm »
Take the zest of 2 large lemon and 1 orange.A pint of fresh squeezed (This will be 8-10 depends how juicy they are and 31/2lbs of

Wizard

A pint of fresh squeezed what??

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 05:54:50 pm »
Round here the castle is advertising for people to pick elderflowers at £1.66 per kilo :) The castle makes Elderflower and lemon grass cordial.

However use Georges recipe and add extra lemons then boil untill concentrated by approx half and you have a non castle Elderflower and lemon cordial :)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 08:08:27 pm »
Can you send me some of this too please George?!! :D I can't find any elderflowers near me! :yum:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:55:56 pm »
The castle makes Elderflower and lemon grass cordial.

That wouldn't be the Green Bottle Company would it - I live on that stuff - drinking some now.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 07:56:22 am »
Don't know round Melton way Jackie so its gone over my head. Has it to do with the Duchess of Rutland?I know every one and his dog claim Melton Mowbray Pork Pie is the thing but not Kath and I We would sooner have a Lincoln one from Wisby's I know the one I buy in Morrison's has little to do with a proper Melton Pie! ??? ;D ;D ;D :farmer: :wave:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 06:53:18 pm »
Made first batch of FANTASTIC cordial today.

Sitting outside in the sun sipping it mixed with fizzy water. BLISS!!!

Have put a load in the freezer.

It tastes so much better having made it myself.

:-)

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS