Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slight concern  (Read 2683 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Slight concern
« on: June 14, 2010, 02:57:29 pm »
Hello all,

I have 2 GOS males, aged 6 months, all has gone well up to now, I am slightly concerened about one of them, BOB, this morning he did not bother to get up as usual when I fed them, then have just fed again and he still didnt bother, this is unusal behaviour for him. He has got up to have a drink in the meantime. Should I be concerned, he reacts with a grunt and twitch of the ear when I call his name but thats about it, obviously I will continue to monitor this today and call out vet if ness, but do they have 'lazy days' when they just cant be bothered. No signs of anything wrong when he does get up, no injury etc

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Slight concern
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 06:23:03 pm »
Does not sound like a normal pig, my lot only have to hear my voice and they think food is on the way and become very vocal  :)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 07:08:33 pm »
F,

yes you should be concerned anytime your pig does not exhibit its normal behaviour, but don't panic  :)

Presuming that 1 pig of 2 is normal, then it is unlikely to be environment (eg something harmful growing in their pen).

I presume it is not physical - eg leg strain.

Pigs do have off days, so as he is drinking I would monitor for the next day or so, he won't die through lack of food as long as he is drinking ok.

If he does not recover to normal self for 48 hours, then take his temperature.  This is quite easy - have a digital thermometer and as he is lying insert into his anus.  Pigs are generally very tolerant of this, and with a digital you simply wait until it beeps and then withdraw to read it at your leisure.

Do this a couple of hours apart.  If you do phone your vet, this is key information he will need - ie is temp normal, and is it going up or down or stable.

If he does have a temperature (Normal temperature 38.6ºC to 39.5ºC ), then vet is likley to propose antibiotics.  If temperature is normal then antibiotics will do not good, and it is more likely that he has had some trauma or eaten something that has upset his stomach - time will normally heal.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 08:42:48 pm »
Thanks oaklandpigs mine are fit and well and I found that useful!

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 10:39:38 pm »
Update- Went with my instinct and called the vet, I knew all was not well. The vet could not find anything wrong with him apart from the fact that he keeps wanting to lay down, has had painkiller and antibiotics as a precaution and is now up and eating ;D. Thinks it may be an injury to back leg/s or back but nothing too serious. Thanks for replies its good to have someone whose brains you can pick.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 09:14:30 pm »
Well after this mornings fiasco, i was going to ask how the hell do you inject an up and running around 6 month old boar!!!!! After 3 atempts and one bent needle we gave up, however not to be out done, we waited until later on in the day to try again. This time with 4 people on hand, 2 to trap him against the side of the stable with a hurdle, one to trap the back so he cant turn around and one to jab him, make no mistake anyone having a go at this for the first time, it is no picnic!! He made one hell of a noise and was NOT HAPPY, but as soon as finished and realeased him he happily went back to his dinner :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS