Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pregnant ewe feeding plan  (Read 4984 times)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Pregnant ewe feeding plan
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 11:23:06 am »
Ours will get around half a kilo a day for the last 4 weeks, less for those carrying singles, and more for triplets and starting earlier.  First time lambers are the worry if they have good condition as too much feed can grow the lambs too big and you can end up with caesarians! Especially with texels or Suffolk texel crosses. So especially with first timers (shearings in our case) carrying singles - we try not to give nuts at all until the last week and then just to help the milk come through.  Pregnant Ewe lambs are still growing themselves so need feeding but not too much.  For the first time we have 3 planned ewe lambs in lamb as an experiment as many farmers around do it, but I must say we are a tad nervous about it!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Pregnant ewe feeding plan
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 01:12:10 pm »
When I used BFL rams I had to had feed them all through tupping , so I made small pens with hurdles , called the rams in  and fed each individually in a bucket , so it shouldn't be too difficult to train a greedy suffolk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS