Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Natural Pig Feed that doesn't cost the earth  (Read 2796 times)

Davey1234

• Joined Jun 2010
  • West Wales
    • Benceithin Farm
Natural Pig Feed that doesn't cost the earth
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:21:12 am »
I have our first pigs arriving on Thursday, 4 Oxfords. They have a large outside pen so will get a lot of their nutrients from the soil. Our local feed suppliers only seem to sell pig feed stuffed full of growth promoters etc and called stuff like 'Hyper Grow'. I have found a supplier of the 'Smallholder' range of feeds, which is GM and growth promoter free, but this is twice the price of the feed with all the nasty stuff in it???

Anyway, is anyone using a natural pig nut from a supplier that is better priced?

Thanks

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Re: Natural Pig Feed that doesn't cost the earth
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 09:03:48 am »
I get Organic Unistock from B & W Feeds in Blandford, Dorset.  I know they do a non-organic one too and it is just maize/barley/wheat/soya etc.  http://www.bwfeeds.com/smallholder-range.php

Davey1234

• Joined Jun 2010
  • West Wales
    • Benceithin Farm
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 09:29:39 am »
Thanks fifixx

Their stuff looks great, and even with courier charges, it's cheaper than getting the Smallholder stuff.

Thanks again

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 09:57:02 am »
I suggest you find an agricultural merchant locally who stocks sow & weaner nuts with a protein level of 16-18%. These are an ideal balanced mix for breed like Oxfords without unnecessary promoters and will be affordable. Don't get too hung up if they aren't advertised as 'GM free'. If they contain soya then most authorities agree that they cannot claim to be GM-free because most soya is GM nowadays and no European merchant buying in bulk can obtain guaranteed GM-free stocks.

Davey1234

• Joined Jun 2010
  • West Wales
    • Benceithin Farm
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 10:18:51 am »
My local suppliers nuts, even the sow and weaner nuts, seem to contain stuff like copper sulphate, Almet, Dicalcium Sulphate, Lysine and the list goes on, unless this is standard in all feed, whether it's for free range pigs or for ones kept in pens? As I live in West Wales, there is not much call for the standard agricultural merchants to stock anything than the bog standard feed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS