Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Backing a Shetland - Should we and how?  (Read 7952 times)

AlexInLincs

• Joined Apr 2010
Backing a Shetland - Should we and how?
« on: June 13, 2010, 08:19:42 pm »
Hi

We have a couple of mini shetland mares (aged 5 and 7).  They are good at being caught, on the lead rein and being groomed.  Our young kids would like to ride them but they have never been ridden.  How would you suggest we go about backing them?  How difficult/dangerous is it?

Any tips and advice would really be appreciated as we would love to do more with these two.

Thanks

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Re: Backing a Shetland - Should we and how?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 02:48:59 am »
How old are your children? I presume young if they will fit on your mini's! I'd pop a tony cub saddle on them and do plenty of leading around to get them used to the girth etc. Maybe even construct a weight which you can put on after a couple of weeks to get them used to that sensation also. To be honest, at their size, they're only even going to be lead rein ponies and if they really are very quiet, you may even be able to pop a child on with an adult holding on and have a walk down the drive after a few sessions with the saddle. Obviously make sure everyone has the relevant gear and make sure the adult walkiung is prepared to whip the child off if the pony shows any signs of discontent etc.

As kids will probably outgrow mini's when they reach 5 or so you're pretty much guaranteed not to be able to find a child experienced enough to sit on for the first time on their own.

I probably wouldn't even bother with a bridle as cub saddles have handles anyway. Firstly buying tack for mini's is a pain and secondly it's less for the kids to be able to annoy the ponies with once on board!

Let us know how you get on! :) :horse:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 12:04:30 pm »
you could also try getting them used to long lines

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 03:37:51 pm »
I have ridden a standard shetland, but hasten to add I am very small and lightweight, and backed small ponies for people who are to big to do it themselves. But, to be honest, mini shetlands are really pets.companions.....but yes, they can be ridden, and even driven.

You do need to get the pony used to a saddle, but no point in a bridle if you are just lead reining.  Once you are sure the saddle is no problem, then you can pop a child on, just standing still, and gradually walking a little.  I am sure your pony will be fine, as it sounds well handled.

Its just before putting a child on, I would like to make sure myself it was safe, but obviously being that small, its impossible for an adult to do this.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 06:29:03 pm »
Even a small Shetland should be broken in the same as any pony or horse, I start with lunging and long reining, getting them used to wearing tack and learning commands. I have in the past made a straw person as the first rider if there has been no willing able child who knows how to ride. By going down this road the pony learns how to walk on and trot to the voice which later on can be used by the rider.  There are no short cuts to doing this job well.  :)

Hardfeather

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 09:22:48 am »
I also advocate treating mini Shetlands like any other equine when it comes to starting/breaking.

In fairness to the pony, and for the purposes of gaining knowledge of its temperament and trustworthiness, and for the safety of any children involved, there is no real alternative to a thorough education.

:)

AlexInLincs

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 10:12:41 am »
Thanks for all you helpful tips and comments! We'll let you know how we get along!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS