Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Barren strawberries?  (Read 6811 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Barren strawberries?
« on: June 12, 2010, 06:28:11 pm »
We bought some strawberry plug plants from Dobies to plant in hanging baskets.

They look great - lots of lovely dark green foliage but only one flower.

Does that mean we aren't going to get any strawberries?

We got them fairly late (first week of May or thereabouts) and planted them straight into the baskets and they have taken really well - growing and everything - but no flowers.

Anybody know where we went wrong?

Thanks

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Barren strawberries?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 12:56:00 pm »
They look great - lots of lovely dark green foliage but only one flower.

Does that mean we aren't going to get any strawberries?

well, you should get one!
dont despair yet you may get more flowers.
stick them in the ground afterwards, they may well do better next year...
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:00:49 am »
I could be wrong here but I think everything seems to be a bit 'late' this year?  we moved to our current house pretty much a year ago today and there was an abundance of huge juicy straw's on the strawberry patch - this year I think we've had 5 (and my 5 year old had one of them, the slugs the other 4 grrr)
maybe things will happen over the next fortnight or so? 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 11:58:54 am »
I think it's the weather we've had too.  Everything in my garden is way behind this year, but I can see signs - I have berries on my strawbs in pots and baskets (Central Scotland)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 10:05:02 am »
Picked the first strawberry last night.

Plenty coming on. Obviously without flowers there will be no fruit. I wonder if you have been feeding them? They need potash and phosphate more than nitrogen for fruit production so it could be a nutirent imbalance.

On the other hand, it could just be that the plants are not well enough established to fruit. On the whole, I don't let strawberries fruit in their first year as I find that you get a stronger plant and better lifetime yields that way.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 11:05:33 am »

On the other hand, it could just be that the plants are not well enough established to fruit. On the whole, I don't let strawberries fruit in their first year as I find that you get a stronger plant and better lifetime yields that way.
I'm not sure about this. We get told not to pick in the first year, and we get told plants only last three years, so that means you only get two years berries off each plant.  So what is the point in them being made strong plants?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 12:34:34 pm »
They will crop for three seasons. In fact they will last longer than that but the yield will be lower. I've got some that must be in the fifth year, but in fairness, there is not much on them this year and will be grubbed up at the end of the season.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 02:18:25 pm »
I have a nice piece of OG plastic gutter suspended between 2 hanging baskets its about 2 meters long full level with compost and six strawberry plants all in flower and some green Berry's forming I didn't plant them out until May Day :D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 04:25:17 pm »
Well - had another look today through the foliage today. I think there are some flowers forming and one fruit from the one flower I saw.

I have contacted the supplier and asked what variety of strawberry they are as I am assuming that a late variety will flower and fruit later?

Susanna

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 10:20:26 pm »
Just as a tip,

If you want good fruit then pinch out any runners that start to form - you can have strawberries or runners, but not the two together.

Time of planting is not so important - but how they were kept prior to planting out is.

We can still obtain bare rooted plants now, which are kept in cold store, and will produce fruit 60 days (ish) after thawing and planting out.

However the best time to plant is in the late autumn - we are taking orders now for an October delivery.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 09:30:23 pm »
The strawberry variety is Loran which is an early fruiting variety. There seem to be a few more flowers now and they are looking very healthy so we will continue with them.

I was interested to see the possibility of planting out strawberries in October SfS.

We would like to continue doing strawberries in hanging baskets. Would we keep the baskets in the polytunnel over winter?

Which varieties are good for hanging baskets? or does it matter?

Susanna

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 03:24:02 pm »
Hi,

As long as the soil they are in is fairly dry, a "dormant" strawberry plant will not take any harm from cold. In fact our supplier keeps the bare rooted plants we sell in cold storage (at freezing point!).

When the plant defrosts and warms up - it thinks - Hey! it's spring and starts to grow. So these can be planted at almost any time.

The October / November planting is not of cold stored plants, but plants freshly lifted as they become dormant - so there will be no growth till next spring.

Any variety really for baskets or raised "gro-Bags" - we have had success with Red Gauntlet, Cambridge Favourite, and this year with the new Albion variety.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 05:55:02 pm »
I had 2 different types of strawberry plants from a store - an early season and mid season fruiter. I have had a handful off them, but nothing since.

I also had some I grew myself from seed, no idea now what they were  :P   and they have lots of small leaves but no flowers.

I didnt know about the runners - I have some runners on the store bought plants that I will now go and pinch out. They are in pots now - I was thinking of planting them out later into a bit of bare ground that has previously had all the mown grass dumped on it and left to rot for years. I thought that the ground there should be super charged - does that sound about right  ???  What would be the right sort of time to move them into the ground for the winter - do they need any protection?

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 07:50:56 am »
Hi,

Best time to transplant to a new location is after the leaves have died back and the plant has "gone to sleep".

They shouldn't need too much, or any protection as long as they are not stood in water. As someone said in a previous post, the productive life of a plant is 3 seasons, it will still fruit after this but to a lesser extent, so in the second year let some plants grow runners to produce new plants.

Or of course you could completely restock with new plants from us - at prices you wont find in a garden center or in a seed catalogue.

Thanks

Talbert121

• Joined Nov 2010
  • LA
  • Just looking around.
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 11:27:34 am »
A low-growing, eastern North American perennial herb (Waldsteinia fragarioides) having straw berrylike leaves, yellow flowers, and small, dry, inedible fruit.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS