Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: EID Wefare Issues  (Read 17155 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: EID Wefare Issues
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2010, 07:54:16 pm »
At the Highland Show now and having a good look at everyone's EID tags before we make a final decision.....
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2010, 08:34:26 pm »
Fearing do a fair range of tattoo pliers and I think they have one set that have pretty small numbers
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2010, 11:21:59 am »
Has anyone seen or used these tags?

http://www.ritchey.co.uk/EID-Tags/default.aspx
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2010, 11:42:41 am »
In the end we plumped for Allflex Bubblegum tags which have the EID in the pin and are soft and flexible.  They are however quite wide.  Haven't put them in yet.  There is a gov questionnaire which is supposed to have come with every set of tags but 'they' decided it was too expensive.  The questionnaire allows for feedback from users so is worth downloading from DEFRA/SGRP..(whatever - old SEERAD). Obviously I don't know if France has similar.
For the Ritchie tags, they look small and neat but it would be worth getting samples to see the actual size compared to your sheeps little ears.  Let us know what you think if you do that.  Here it is increasingly being acknowledged that there is a major welfare problem with EID tagging.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2010, 10:55:01 pm »
Has anyone seen or used these tags?

http://www.ritchey.co.uk/EID-Tags/default.aspx

Yes.....too big ???
Have now got lots of samples from lots of companies and am going to use bubblegum tag and cut off the bit with the numbers on after application so its just left with the bit through the ear and use the small wraparound in the other ear with the numbers on it.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2010, 08:37:37 am »
Glad I found this thread as I have lambs bought in and only have 1 ear tag left but lots of ripped ears and tags all over the paddock.

I have to do the ryeland lambs and have been delaying as I didn't want the same to happen to them, I am moving soon so have to have all the lambs tagged for transport and I was starting to panic as when you see a ripped ear because of these huge tags in is heart wrenching and is a welfare concern.

I have even resorted to putting screening mesh around the fence line in the paddoc so that they don't get the tag caught and still it happened I even found 2 locked together by tags after playing. 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2010, 10:04:27 am »
If you are having problems with EID tags and lambs, there is an ETAS welfare/complaints form which you should complete. The form should then be sent to BCMS who are monitoring tagging problems.

This form was supposed to be sent out with all ear tags but apparently it was not considered cost effective to do so.
The NSA is urging anyone who has experienced welfare problems to fill in the form and send it to:
ETAS Support Team, BCMS, Curwen Road, Workington, CA14 2DD.

Forms are available on: www.nsascotland.org.uk www.scoteid.com www.rpa.gov.uk
or download directly from http://www.scoteid.com/public/documents/cpp51_EAR_TAG_FEEDBACK_FORM.pdf

Fleecewife's Other Half.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2010, 05:43:26 pm »
Thanks for that info!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2010, 06:56:46 pm »
I have heard that you can use a bolas with the eid instead of the tag. Though I am not sure if these are suitable for young lambs either.

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 05:28:24 pm »
Hi,

Just to let you know we now have the QWIK EID Tag system, can be used for lambs or larger sheep.

Take a look at : https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/qwik-qwik-eid-tags-c-98_102_133.html

Delivery is currently upto 4 weeks due to demand.

Many Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 10:05:41 pm »
Still too heavy for small and thin eared sheep :-\....very like several others
www.valgrainger.co.uk

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2010, 08:48:02 am »

Then I think it is unlikely that you will find an EID tag suitable for your needs, as it is very unlikely that one will be produced that is smaller and lighter than these.

Good Luck.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2010, 09:25:10 am »
yes have been looking into this there is a minimium limit for the size of these type of ear tags.
I am looking at alternatives to ear tagging we may be able to push for sub cut chips as the ouessant is deemed more companion animal than meat provider remains to be seen. But the quick tags do look tidy.

Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2010, 02:48:39 pm »

Then I think it is unlikely that you will find an EID tag suitable for your needs, as it is very unlikely that one will be produced that is smaller and lighter than these.

Good Luck.

Wellll actually the Allflex bubblegum is my choice as the eid is in the bit that goes through the ear therefore if you cut off the visual part it makes a very small button tag!
As visual id is only needed in one ear as there is an eid in the other ear it is a good solution to a bad job as the visual Allflex tags are very small.

Kanisha....we have a problem here that Ouessants are not seen as companion animals but just as sheep ::) and it would be the same if they were the size of guinea pigs!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010, 03:56:17 pm »
Hi again.

Ok Good solution to your problem, but I do wonder as the the acceptability in officialdom of carrying out modifications to approved tags.

Thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS