Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 3003 times)

donna

• Joined Jun 2010
Hi
« on: June 11, 2010, 04:04:24 pm »
 Hi
I live in small village in essex and we are trying very hard to live the good life !!
and having a wonderful time .
i have had my sheep sheared today and would love to have them made into a duvet ,does anyone have any information on this .
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:26:36 pm by donna »

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: fleeces into duvets
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 04:12:08 pm »
Hello Donna, and welcome to the forum!!

To be honest, I have never thought about using our fleeces for a duvet, so would be interested to know more on this!!

I tend to use mine to line my hanging baskets.  Have tried to give them away, but people who wanted them were a long way away from here.  So rather than chuck them, hanging baskets seemed the sensible thing.

donna

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Hi
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 04:33:58 pm »
Hello Roxy
what a good idea for hanging basket i could do that too
i first heard about sheep wool duvets on the dream farm program on channel 4 and it seems such a good idea i'm just not sure how to go about it and the shearer who came today suggested trying the forum so here i am a forum first timer !!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 04:54:43 pm »
Its lovely on here - such helpful people.  I am sure someone will come along and be able to help with your fleece query!!

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 05:07:33 pm »
Hello Donna, been a bit busy to say hello to everyone new but  :wave: Welcome...I only have CHickens and 2 DUcks as I have a B&B so I spend a lot of time cleaning (and on here!) I would much rather be cleaning out the chickens, walking the dogs and doing the garden, never mind!!!!

donna

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 05:19:20 pm »
Hi Sandy
thank you for saying hello this seems real fun!
we have 9 sheep 9 lambs 5 GOS pigs and a saddle back lots of ducks and chickens, and a young rhea as well as dogs and cats.
B&B sounds like hard work ,i work part time as a receptionist but would love to be at home with my animals all the time .

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 07:00:58 pm »

Hi Donna and welcome, I have shetland sheep and can't give the fleeces away. I usually have them shorn on the farm next door so they just throw in my fleeces with theirs. Just don't have the patience to spin and knit with them.
I have hens and ducks and 2 turkeys. My next lot of weaners arrive tomorrow so I am pretty excited they are OSBs. Oh and I also have 4 horses.
Anne

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 07:47:18 pm »
Welcome from the shearer :wave:

That was quick!

We haven't been home long.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 08:28:00 pm »
hello and welcome...
Little Blue

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 09:23:18 pm »
Hi and welcome from Suffolk.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 11:40:30 pm »
Hi there  :wave: If you find someone who can make duvet batts here in Britain I will be very interested too. In the States there are several mills which will scour and card into duvet sized batts, but that's there and we are here  :(.  Meanwhile, there are mills which can turn your fleeces into knitting yarn, or have them woven into blankets for your bed.  We have had some of these made from Shetland, Jacob and Hebridean wool - the Heb one is our favourite and saves our lives every winter.  I do handspin my fleeces, but with about 50 new ones every year I simply can't do them all so am always looking for new uses.  Have a look in the crafts bit and you will see a post about felt.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 09:35:08 am »
Hi welcome, fleece can be used as compost too, apparently its superb on sandy/free drainging soil when rotted.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 12:25:22 pm »
Hi and welcome!

Try contacting the BBC - it might have a "Dream Farm" page on the website that can point you to the person in the programme.

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 01:57:55 pm »
Hi and welcome from Australia

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS