Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to slaughter?  (Read 5077 times)

racheLeah

• Joined Jul 2008
When to slaughter?
« on: July 28, 2008, 10:16:05 pm »
I am raising tamworths.
Just got them yesterday and have no idea of their age.
The guy who donated them (I work for a non-profit org.) says they are at 150 lbs. and we should slaughter at 300 lbs.  But I've seen a lot of information on slaughtering by age and am not sure which to go by.
Also not sure how to figure out weight.  Seems a bit much for my bathroom scale!

Obviously I am a pig-raising genius.

Any wisdom will be much appreciated.  Thank you!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: When to slaughter?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 11:09:31 pm »
There is a thread on here somewhere about how to weigh your pigs by measuring their length and girth. You might find that helpful - I can't remember the formula offhand. It nmight also ahve information about killing out % which is high in a pig but I can't remember.

Sorry for this but hope it helps a bit.

YorkshireSmallholder

• Joined Jun 2008
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 02:22:07 pm »
Try this link - can't remember who posted it but very useful - measure the girth just behind the front legs. (should be accurate to within 3% - so they say)

http://www.coult.com/blog/pigweight.htm

I would say that weight is more important than age as rare breeds tend to grow slower (and hence taste much better!!) It may also depend on what you want them for? pork or bacon and what sex they are - boars tend be slaughtered younger for pork (as older 'entire' boars can develop boar taint), gilts/sows for bacon - as a general rule.

We recently slaughtered our two boars at approximately 80kg's (& they taste fantastic)

PS - i'm no genius either but it's fun learning

Good Luck

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 04:15:44 pm »
The post currently 9 behind yours - how to weigh your pig using a piece of string (known as the pig and string method) is a good guide.  ;D
Karen

Tweedle

• Joined Jul 2008
  • GMT -5
  • Callender Farms
    • Callender Farms, New Hampshire
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 11:43:27 pm »
We slaughter our hogs at aprox 220-250 lbs. Alot depends on the breed and the amount of fat to lean you want, but we have found that that weight was perfect. We raise a Berkshire-Landrace-Yorkshire mix. I use this method to tell ther aprox weight.  Using a cloth measuring tape measure there heart grith, thats just behind there front legs.Then  measure them from between the ears to the tail. Make sure that there head is level or it will be off. I usually measure a couple times and average(its hard to gett'em to stay still). then use this formula : Heart girth X Heart girth X length / 400. I have found it to be pretty accurate so far.  Hope that helps!
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."  -Winston Churchill-

http://www.callenderfarm.com

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 01:54:58 pm »
Hello,

We would slaughter our Tamworth boars between 11 to 11 1/2 months. Our excess gilts we would take up to 18 months. You'll need to ensure that you can just feel their ribs with a little pressure.

One thing to be careful of is to make sure that they are not too heavy for your abattoir. Where we are (Northern Ireland) you can't get them slaughtered once they're past the 100kg stage (hence we export ours to be slaughtered).

Cheers

Gavin

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 08:17:46 pm »
Wow, that's big pigs. Ours are 29 weeks and I'm thinking it's about time to say bye bye.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 01:24:31 pm »
Rosemary,

The thing to remember with Tamworths is that they mature a lot slower. So, whereas a commercial porker (landrace, duroc, pietrain etc.) would need to go around 6 months you can hang on to your Tams that much longer.

Cheers

Gavin

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 06:42:01 pm »
Our gloucester is approx 203lbs/92 kg she will be with us for just another month, she is 11months now & she'll be our first to go. 
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS