Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: laying outside  (Read 2012 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
laying outside
« on: June 10, 2010, 04:21:40 pm »
Chucks have suddenly taken to laying outside (the few that are laying that is, but that's another moan). Any ideas how I can get them back in the habit of using the nest boxes?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: laying outside
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 04:32:36 pm »
check that there are no red mite lurking in there to make sure that's not the reason why and you can try putting pot/china eggs in so they know where they are expected to lay. are they all laying in one particular place or random?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 09:41:55 am »
no mites I don't think. Where would I see them? On the birds?. laying in one place. have had a broody in the next box for a couple of weeks now. Pain in the arse, not even sat on an egg. throw her out a few times a day but she just keeps coming back. any ideas?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:30:42 am »
I had a broody speckeldy that disrupted the laying of the others. I perservered with kicking her out and cooling her chest down (usually by blowing on it as too lazy to set up a sin bin this year!) I also made sure I had a handful of corn so that when she was out of the nest box the corn took her mind off of going back in. It worked with her, others are more stubborn.
redmite would be hanging around in the coop and you might see the birds looking a bit pale in the comb, losing feathers... also you might notice that you itch yourself after being in the coop or putting hands in to clean out get eggs etc.#
does sound liek your broody has annoyed the others into laying elsewhere!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS