Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What Shotgun?  (Read 4301 times)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
What Shotgun?
« on: June 09, 2010, 02:35:39 pm »
I have a fox and crow problem. I'm after some advice on what bore Shotgun to use to erradicate my problem.

12 Gauge
20 Gauge

Any other suggestions?

Side by side or Over and Under?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: What Shotgun?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 04:51:27 pm »
Hello W.S. 12, pelts the most bits.20, is a lighter gun to carry.I wouldn't bother with a 4.10 for what you need. U/O or side by side is a personal preference A good .22 rifle is hard to beat you can be a lot further off the target.You may have a lot of bother getting a firearm certificate ??? ;D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 10:28:53 am »
I don't think I can use a .22 on my land. I'm a member of a shooting club so can get a certificate easily but it wouldn't be responsible to shoot something that's lethal upto a mile on my small 2 acre plot.

12 bore it is then!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 03:06:03 pm »
OK Sam good luck with the project Kill as many as you can :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Hardfeather

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 11:34:03 pm »
Length of barrels is important, too, as is the choke, as both can increase or decrease the range and spread of the shot pattern. ;)

Newby

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 11:30:01 pm »
I don't think I can use a .22 on my land. I'm a member of a shooting club so can get a certificate easily but it wouldn't be responsible to shoot something that's lethal upto a mile on my small 2 acre plot.

12 bore it is then!

It's nothing to do with acreage, I have a 1/4 acre quarry thats passed for a deer rifle, if your 2 acres has good backstops you could use a .22 on it safely.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 10:38:29 am »
Length of barrels is important, too, as is the choke, as both can increase or decrease the range and spread of the shot pattern. ;)

If you are going for birds and hope to get them flying, you don't want long barrels, and you don't want too much choke. Our farm 12 bore is 28" barrell with three quarter and half choke. Barrels abit too long and choke abit too tight , but it is such a lovely gun.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 02:01:12 pm »
We have dogs if you need a fox digging out  ;)
Your only over the moor from us if ya need a hand with some dogs  ;) always up for a good day out with the dogs  ;D

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 05:30:31 pm »
Sounds like a plan... Could your other half make me a winch mount/bull bar for my Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Have also PMd you
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 06:05:45 pm by whitby_sam »

pasture eyes

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 08:38:36 pm »
Hello whitby_sam
20 guage is a real good alrounder, light to carry/swing, and with 7 shot you will do all you need, 6 shot is a little harder hitting but a bit more of an open mass.   Good Hunting        :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS