Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to stop bottle feeding lambs  (Read 10118 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
When to stop bottle feeding lambs
« on: June 06, 2010, 10:08:10 pm »
I have 2 6 week old orphan lambs and have about 2 days left of milk,should i stop feeding them when i run out or do they need a bit longer.

mmm

• Joined May 2010
Re: When to stop bottle feeding lambs
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 09:16:31 am »
Personally we feed ours longer than that. How many pellets are they eating, they need to be eating plenty before you even think of weaning them.

Ours is on 1 feed of milk a day but they are around 10weeks old. We are also feeding pellets add lib.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 11:17:55 am »
I usually feed mine until they are at least 10 weeks.   I cut down to two bottles by the time they are 6 weeks old, along with feeding on grass and concentrates.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 11:11:52 pm »
Hi, we have tried 2 different ways of weaning, 1st year kept them on the milk for about 8-10 weeks before reducing and this year introduced hard feed earlier, made sure they had been eating it for at least 10 days, and stopped milk feed abrubtly as advised on the feed bag, personally I would not do it this way again, had many more problems such as scouring and bloat, would keep them on longer next time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS