Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making a profit  (Read 6879 times)

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: Making a profit
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 09:45:46 am »
what would I do with an acre and a quarter?

well, I'd first want to understand a few things - what level of "profit" are we talking about? Enough to pay a mortgage. or will you have "proper" jobs for that? Does the land essentially just need to pay for itself - the feed, fencing, animal outlay, hay making, etc etc?

assuming that we're talking about the latter, rather than the ability to get £20k a year from it.... then another question:

How much capital are you willing to throw at the problem initially?

Of course, whatever capital you have you might be better off putting into some sort of high-interest (are there any anymore?) scheme, but then you wouldn't have the lifestyle that we all love so much.

If I had a spare 20k to throw at an acre and a quarter, then possibly vineyard territory? It takes a long time to get your money back, but I gather they do make a profit (white wine only of course... english red is rubbish). Less investment and lower profits might lead me down the applejuice/cide route - plant half of the plot with an orchard. Serious local market research needed here.

Otherwise - We always found pigs turned a good profit. We used to make the whole pig into sausages and sell the sausages for £6 a kilo (plain) or £8 a kilo (flavoured). Our market stood those prices well back in 2008 ish. We haven't yet got pigs at our new place, so not sure on the market precedence around here. Obviously reducing feed cost is key. I seem to remember that you could become a registered waste handling business and take things like biscuit factory or salad factory waste then... that might cut costs, but you need transport and storage. No doubt someone will have worked out a rotational scheme where you might be able to keep 1/3 acre of pig, 1/3 acre of roots, 1/3 acre of legumes, and rotate them. The veg crops feed the pigs, pigs manure & work the land. don't quote me on that... it's plucked from thin air, but I bet someone has done the maths on that sort of thing. That would make your feed costs very ver (especially once you start storing your own seed).

Excuse that slight brain-fart.

Adam

There are other

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 12:17:44 pm »
I think we might all be talking to ourselves as [member=166388]RyanNobson[/member]  seems to have disappeared.  It would be interesting to hear what he thinks of all the info TAS posters have so kindly shared.........
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 01:18:54 pm »
The vet told us to take up gambling. He said that we could get rid of our money with much less effort :roflanim:

wannabefarmer

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 07:35:48 pm »
I'm really interested in having a small farm one day of perhaps 50 acres. I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems that very few people seem to be making money and I wonder if it is because it's impossible or because most people lack one key element which makes things doomed to failure. Some people say they can't get the sales but surely if you bought in the right area and could market well you should be ok. Using the all in 1 pig cost calculator and retail rates for premium pork there seems to be some margin there. Is it the case that this all hold but to be a viable venture it would need to be of a scale that one person couldn't manage? I've seen a few people say they have been able to make money and also read some case studies in academic work, so are these just people who have been able to get all the elements working and scaled to a small but sustainable size?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS