Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A good day.  (Read 1945 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
A good day.
« on: November 27, 2016, 07:24:08 pm »
Cleaned out the pollytunnel today and still had a few tomatoes left to pick. Been quite a good year and looking forward to what I end up growing next year. Already building up compost and horse muck ready for planting.I am thinking of giving the veg plot a rest, dig over and cover. What should I do for my apple trees at this time of year. Do I thin out my strawberry plants or leave for a 2nd season.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: A good day.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 09:52:15 am »
Just cleared out my tomatoes. Now got curly kale, spinach and winter lettuce in the polytunnel. Starting off rocket, spring onions and early carrotsi there as well. I start them off in guttering suspended from the crop bars otherwise the mice eat them as they come through. Will plant them into the ground once they are established. Will be covering the potato and brassica beds with muck and then covering them woth black polythene shortly. Will do the other beds with compost. I dont dig them over now. Seems to work well.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 04:59:18 pm »
What a good idea, never thought of growing carrots in the pollytunnel due to mice. Tried spring onions one year and they got eaten. My veg plot is now full of weeds, farmer next to me has set aside and all the seeds seem to have blown my way. Just can't keep up with them all.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 05:08:36 pm »
Funnily enough, my morning was spent smothering veggie beds in poultry muck. Wanted to get it done before the cold blast this week; help get those frosts in to break everything down.

I've got kale and tomatoes left over from the season, and young pak choi and winter lettuce plants on the go.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 10:42:17 pm »
I've got half a dozen curly lettuce in tubs in the glasshouse planted them in the spent tomato tubs about thre weks ago for Christmas / boxing day salad stuff .

Last night 3 Dec usinghe sack barrow I took 12 still flowering Geranium tubs in to the glasshouse .     Unheard of this late in the year & not have had them blackened with frost .

I've lit a candle in the glasshouse to act as a night heater in a cast iron pot  , for tonight it looks & feels blinking cold .  We are just showing 0 to 1 oC on the digital read out thermometer .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS