Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Going to market for the first time  (Read 2201 times)

scremmit

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Shropshire
Going to market for the first time
« on: November 23, 2016, 07:44:30 am »
Morning team...

More expert advice needed!

A few questions really...

We'll be taking four lambs (about 8 months old) to market in a week or so. Could someone please tell us the procedures and what to expect?

Will the market have copies of the movement licenses as we have none- if not, where do we get them?!

Also- with regards a holding register, is that an actual book or is it lots of sheets printed from the defra website? The website says to phone a number quoting a code but when I did this the person said to print a 'sample copy' from the website as they don't do hard copies (?)

We are currently keeping track of every single thing we do in our own ledger but realise that this isn't official...

Thanks in advance for any info

Scremmet (Chris and Caroline actually)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Going to market for the first time
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 08:28:05 am »
Market will have copies but you'll need the paperwork with you when you're travelling- can you pop to market one day and pick some up before you actually take the lambs? I would offer to post some but I've run out too...  :(

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 08:30:17 am »
You can print copies of the movement licence from the defra web site. Your ledger may be sufficient as a Holding Register as it is a record of the right things that is needed the rules don't stipulate that has to be a bound book.  Having spent years in a different regulated industry I bought one from Amazon as inspections tend to be easier if the inspectors recognise the format you are using.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 08:32:51 am »
Ring up and book them in.

You need to do the licence before you leave. Do you have a farming neighbour who might give you a couple?

If not visit www.arams.co.uk and set yourself up on line or phone them for paper ones.

When you get there back up to a loading bay and the market staff will help you get penned up. The auctioneer generally does the rounds at some point and if you have a reserve he needs to know.

Check with the market how they will go through the ring ie. in pen number from 1 or our small market does a ballot. The pen drawn in the ballot decides whether they want to go first or last so say they are pen 20 and go first the next would be 21 and so on.

Keep an eye on when yours are getting ready to go in so you can go into the ring with them.

Make sure they are electronically tagged as they will be scanned on the way out.

Some markets pay on the day. Some send a cheque or pay into your bank so have a chat with them when you book in.

Make sure you remember money for your bacon bun!

scremmit

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Shropshire
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 09:07:23 am »
Ok, all seems straight forward. Thanks very much for taking the time to reply...
With regards the electronic tags- I assume that the tags I have coming are just plastic things with numbers on- will I also have to buy some other types?

Also- can anybody tell me what will happen to our lambs after they've been sold? We have two uncastrated males, a castrated male and a ewe. Am assuming we sell them in one lot?

Chris

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 09:19:01 am »
The tags you are getting will be one yellow one and one of another colour. The yellow one is the electronic one, should go on the left ear.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 09:31:59 am »

Also- can anybody tell me what will happen to our lambs after they've been sold? We have two uncastrated males, a castrated male and a ewe. Am assuming we sell them in one lot?

Chris

I know with cattle you can specify what groups they are sold in, should be the same for sheep too? Otherwise the auctioneers will separate them out as they see best to get the most money for you.

scremmit

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Shropshire
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 09:41:21 am »
The tags you are getting will be one yellow one and one of another colour. The yellow one is the electronic one, should go on the left ear.

The tags we are getting are both red, I believe, as these lambs were bought in with their mums....

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 10:14:42 am »
If you bought them in then they should have had tags in??

Crbecky10

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 10:20:41 am »
If you have two that are uncastrated, one that is castrated and a ewe lamb, you would be best to sell them as separate lots, as in a 2, 1, 1. Thats if the two that are uncastrated are a similar size and weight. After they've been sold you won't need to worry about them as the auction will sort them out to where they need to be.

Are you taking them to sell fat or for breeding? If they're going to slaughter, they need at least 1 tag in, a yellow slaughter tag. Or if they are already tagged it will be fine as long as they are EID tags.

The auction should sort you out otherwise. I would advise to get a paper movement licence, as others have said, from the auction.
Also, have you sold or bought at the auction before? If you haven't you'll need to get an account set up in the office.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:27:50 am by Crbecky10 »

scremmit

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Shropshire
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 10:32:44 am »
If you bought them in then they should have had tags in??

They should have had but they didnt- but that's a different story. Read my previous posts for the full picture (get yourself a coffee!)

If you have two that are uncastrated, one that is castrated and a ewe lamb, you would be best to sell them as separate lots, as in a 2, 1, 1. Thats if the two that are uncastrated are a similar size and weight. After they've been sold you won't need to worry about them as the auction will sort them out to where they need to be.

Are you taking them to sell fat or for breeding? If they're going to slaughter, they need at least 1 tag in, a yellow slaughter tag. Or if they are already tagged it will be fine as long as they are EID tags.

The auction should sort you out otherwise. I would advise to get a paper movement licence, as others have said, from the auction.
Also, have you sold or bought at the auction before? If you haven't you'll need to get an account set up in the office.

We'll be selling them just because we don't need them so if they'll be used for slaughter or for breeding, I imagine, depends on if we get a bidder... They're not fancy breeds or anything so I shouldn't think they'd be for breeding.

As I previous poster suggests we'll have to book them in, I'll ask about the 2,1,1 thing- I just thought you turned up at the market and would be expected to know what to do!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 12:15:35 pm »
Every mart has a slightly different set up.  With ours you hand the AML1 to the gatekeeper and he checks you off against his list of booked-in stock and tells you which pen number and unloading gate to go to.  You unload them into the holding pen then a market porter moves them to the pen, you wait with them with your bits of the AML1 and a clerk comes along and enters details on the auctioneer's record sheet and asks how you'd like them sold.  If it's to be as different lots she'll get you to spray mark them with different letters according to lots.  She'll then hand you your bit of the AML1 and you fill in the cleanse form, hand it to the clerk on the gate, park up and take yourself off to the market café for a full English breakfast.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 12:33:17 pm »
I would phone the mart and ask if it's okay to take uncastrated males at all just at the moment - some marts have an embargo period so as to not get unwanted tuppings.

You will also need to give out that the ewe lamb has been running with uncastrated males, as she could very well be in lamb.  If it's a primestock day you had better also check that they are happy for you to take her - it is not permitted (at least, at some marts; I can't speak for all) to send pregnant females through a slaughter ring.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 01:10:24 pm »

The tags we are getting are both red, I believe, as these lambs were bought in with their mums....

Check what you have got ordered. They will need an electronic tag to be excepted at the market.

Also ring and discuss with market bearing in mind SallyIntNorth's comments.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS