Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best plants to grow?  (Read 4058 times)

RareAGcoinz

• Joined Nov 2016
Best plants to grow?
« on: November 17, 2016, 11:28:41 am »
What is the best edible plants to grow for own consumption not resale, that have the most edible flesh with the least waste?

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Re: Best plants to grow?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 10:26:52 am »
That's a tricky question. Are you trying to grow your food in a small area and want to get the most food from your beds?

I would go with potatoes and as they grow you add more dirt to the plant you can get a lot of food in a smaller area and it worked well for Matt Damon.

If you are trying to do this in a small area. Any climbing plants work well (in small spaces you have to go vertical)

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 10:29:52 am »
yeah, spuds and corgettes (zuchini) have got to up there in the top 10. Also runner beans.

A man (or woman) cannot live on those alone though. are you going for 100% self-sufficiency on food? Where are you trying to grow? No point trying to raise high yield exotics if we're talking about the top of a hill in cumbria.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 11:07:17 am »
What is the best edible plants to grow for own consumption not resale, that have the most edible flesh with the least waste?

As the others have said... but if specifically most flesh with zero waste then with spuds you don't eat the skin - so toms, peppers, cues you can eat it all. For most yield in a small area, but you'ld never grow it UK, then a breadfruit has to be up there: a 3foot wide truck with more than a ton of carbs  ;D . Apples, pears, sweet chestnut (porridge) 'cos i have to add a nut. All soft fruit.

There's an argument for not bothering growing cheap to buy stuff like spuds and brassicas when you work out the hourly costs on a small plot and sticking with the more expensive crops. Horses for courses.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 02:23:38 pm »

As the others have said... but if specifically most flesh with zero waste then with spuds you don't eat the skin - so toms, peppers, cues you can eat it all. For most yield in a small area, but you'ld never grow it UK, then a breadfruit has to be up there: a 3foot wide truck with more than a ton of carbs  ;D . Apples, pears, sweet chestnut (porridge) 'cos i have to add a nut. All soft fruit.

There's an argument for not bothering growing cheap to buy stuff like spuds and brassicas when you work out the hourly costs on a small plot and sticking with the more expensive crops. Horses for courses.
Why wouldn't you eat potato skins - very good for you and very tasty
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 04:26:41 pm »

Absolutely  :o :o .  The skin, and just under it, is where the most vitamin type nutrients of a potato are to be found.  All they need is a good scrub to clean off the soil.  Roughage  :thumbsup:

Going back to the OP: << What is the best edible plants to grow for own consumption not resale, that have the most edible flesh with the least waste?>>we need a whole lot more info before we can make any helpful suggestions.  Whereabouts are you?  Do you have any experience of growing for eating?  This message is posted in 'Fruit', so is it just fruit you are interested in or veggies and fruit together?  What do you like?  There's not a whole lot of point in growing stuff which no-one in your family will eat. How many folk will you be growing for? What is your garden area?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 09:50:56 am »

I forget the rest of you don't have endemic scab to cope with

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 12:00:43 pm »

I forget the rest of you don't have endemic scab to cope with

Nothing wrong with scabby skins - just rub off the scarry bits and the rest is fine.  My potato brush has a ridgy bit on the back which is perfect for that sort of blemish.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 09:36:32 am »
I agree with Fleecewife - lots more info needed before practical suggestions can be put forward from experienced growers.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 11:21:41 am »
Certainly spuds, early/ second early, I think most root crops, onions, i struggle with brassicas, too much work/protection needed.
Runner beans can have a fantastic crop depending on weather,  soil preparation.
Also main thing is what do you like to eat?
And where you live ?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 11:32:01 am »
Just seen you've tried to change the heading to fruit ?
If that's right maybe amend your first post to say which you mean ?
Soft fruit would be the quickest, but birds would be a problem.
Apples ? Plums ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS