Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can hens have fits?  (Read 2556 times)

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
Can hens have fits?
« on: November 16, 2016, 07:52:28 pm »
one of blacktails mentioned in earlier post found by husband tonight with head back gasping for breath looking like she was on her way out .... however he sat her up and she sat for a minute then gave herself a shake and went up the wooden hill to bed ! 

Any ideas ??

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Can hens have fits?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 08:19:41 pm »
I have seen this in one of my hens this year.  She was hatched on the farm from our own stock, so we know there were no disease or nutritional problems, but when she was about 16 weeks old she started fitting.  I've no idea why but we decided that, since there was clearly a problem, she would be vulnerable to disease and be a potential source of problems for the rest of the flock, so I culled her.  Never seen it before in any of the many hundreds of hens we've raised and a do hope I never see it again.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 09:25:27 pm »
Yes, I've had one had a fit, looked like she was dying, was up on her feet again 10 minutes later.
Have also had a turkey with severe epileptic type seizures, on occasion the poor chick would literally fly several feet through the air when it happened (had her put to sleep, imagine an adult turkey doing that!).

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 09:38:47 pm »
Our old cockerel had some kind of 'turn' a few months ago. My daughter was throwing corn to them . He was standing on top of a bank happily pecking away. Suddenly fell sideways and rolled to the bottom of the bank and lay there twitching and flapping. Daughter ran down to him and lifted him slightly. His comb and face were blue. She popped him gently down and we stood watching him as we thought that he was dying. Within a minute or two he was back on his feet and pecking away at his supper! Been alright since. Not sure if it was a fit, heart problem or maybe he just choked on his corn!

Hopefully your girl will show no further symptoms. :fc:

Manaphy

• Joined Nov 2016
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 02:03:48 am »
I imagine chickens can suffer seizures, since other animals can.  I had a finch that was not acting right, and I thought when I heard a ruckus, she had fallen off the perch.  But then I caught her seizing, fluttering, rolling around the cage, then stopping and acting like nothing had happened.  I also have a dog who has seizures, and is dazed for a while afterwards.

I would not know the cause, or if there is one.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 04:48:30 pm »
I had a duck that had a seizure - tipped sideways shaking her head, then rolled over legs waving in the  air.  I thought it was a heart attack and she was a goner. By the time I'd come back with a bag for her she was up and dibbling around with the rest of them.  Unfortunately a few days later the  same thing happened when they were swimming in the burn and she drowned before I could get down to save her.  :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 07:45:16 pm »
Thanks for the replies folks.  Unfortunately husband not sure which of the two blacktails it was - light fading at the time. Both seem perfectly ok for now.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 10:46:21 am »
def sounds like mycoplasma - smell their breath.  More than likely a respiratory disease - you can get Tylan but unfort if they become weak here is little to be done.  Its spreads and will infect all hens around.  Will be intermittant but more than likely sounds exactly like Myco

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 12:03:52 pm »
Doesn't sound like mycoplasma at all. And yes, I have a flock that carries it.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 12:50:50 pm »
No, I don't think the symptoms match those of mycoplasma, either.  No reason I can think of that hens shouldn't have seizures, just as some humans and dogs do. 

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 08:35:01 pm »
Well unless I am wrong my flock has myco & IB and have hens that do major gasping on many occasions poultry vet has confirmed this is common.  Some do it for a little time and then calm down.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS