Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: duck eggs under hens?  (Read 2138 times)

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
duck eggs under hens?
« on: June 02, 2010, 03:07:03 pm »
We have about 30 hens and 6 ducks which all roam around totally free together (although they do their own thing and keep themselves to themselves!) and sleep in a big hen house together at night.
I have 3 broody hens at the moment.  I have just received 6 hen eggs in the post today from ebay and am going to pop them under one of my broody ladies.
My ducks are laying every day and I have a few of their eggs sitting there and am pretty sure they will have been fertilised by our (randy!!) drakes.
My question is, do you think I could stick these duck eggs under one of the broody hens?  None of my ducks are interested in sitting on the eggs and we could actually do with some more ducks.
I was just wondering that if they hatched and were going around the same area as all the other hens and ducks....would they all start breeding and would that just be "weird"...???
Advice needed please!!  ???

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: duck eggs under hens?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:48:17 pm »
Pick a reliable broody, as she has got to sit another week longer than hens eggs.

Move her out into another run to incubate.

From day 23 onwards mist the eggs once a day with water to soften the shell...Well actually it lifts the humidity and the carbon dioxide in the egg combines with the water vapor and chemically reacts on the calcium in the shell to weaken it for the chick to cut through easier.

There needs to be a drinker that will take 5ltrs as the ducklings when they hatch waste alot.

Don't mix the ducklings with the rest of your poultry untill they are fully feathered up and stronger.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: duck eggs under hens?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 04:59:15 pm »
And don't put both hen and duck eggs under the same broody as she may leave the unhatched eggs in favour of teaching the new chick babies all about life. ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS