Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pesticide use on Smallholding  (Read 2007 times)

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Pesticide use on Smallholding
« on: February 24, 2017, 01:39:40 pm »
Hi,
We rarely use any pesticide other than RoundUp for the track leading to the house though have now been recommended Clinic Ace for that job.  OTOH we have some Pastor in the shed and did find that excellent at getting rid of thistles etc in our first year, 2nd year we removed these by hand which was great until we had to get rid of the stuff :-)

To be safe with the legislation concerning pesticides my wife has passed the PA1 course but was told that it wasn't really for her as a smallholder.  When Judie enquired about the PA2 and PA6 course she was told no need to do it.  Now this seems at odds with our understanding.

As the advice came on a course at one of the Scottish Rural Colleges it should be correct but we remain doubtful.  I'm wondering what others may think.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Pesticide use on Smallholding
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 01:45:50 pm »
Totally wrong!  Anyone using agrochemicals needs certificate. PA 1 and then PA which ever depending on how it will be applied.  Oh just done Handheld one.  Appalled that you were given that advise .... Fine is 1000's!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Pesticide use on Smallholding
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 04:33:36 pm »
Me also, my wife was trying to get the dates for a PA6 course and/or a PA2 as we have a quad bike.  She was told the courses weren't for smallholders just professionals.  Anyway, good news is that Judie passed her PA1 today with flying colours! 

I've mentioned it on another thread but I have just read that if you have a sprayed fitted to a Quad Bike then you need to have the sprayer checked for calibration once a year by a test centre though it can be done on the farm if you like.  We'll have to find out more about that also.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS