Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bird flu  (Read 183198 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: bird flu
« Reply #795 on: March 15, 2017, 09:05:42 am »
I suspect it's endemic in wild birds worldwide but is only now being noticed because it's of commercial significance.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #796 on: March 15, 2017, 11:35:55 am »
I seem to remember the USA had it quite bad a few years ago.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #797 on: March 15, 2017, 11:42:30 am »
I don't know if this has already been mentioned but I came across this report which considers the role of wild birds in transmission of highly pathogenic bird flu http://www.face.eu/sites/default/files/documents/english/scientific_task_force_on_avian_influenza_and_wild_birds_h5n8_hpai_december_2016_final.pdf
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #798 on: March 20, 2017, 06:25:08 pm »
OH Came in and said there was a dead pheasant in field, could it be bird flu, we decided perhaps it was the cold wet weather, looking very sad and bedraggled just now.
I went and had a look later, before anyone could go reporting it. All I found was a dead hare, poor thing, I think hubby really needs some glasses :-).

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #799 on: April 11, 2017, 09:06:08 am »
Yeeeey!
They just announced on BBC radio that the government is lifting all poultry restrictions from this Thursday!
Melton mowbray rare breed auction has been rescheduled from 8th of April tov6th of May.
Can't wait!!!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #800 on: April 11, 2017, 10:28:15 am »
As I understand it restrictions still in place in HRA's have been lifted from Thursday 13th but the ban on poultry gatherings remains until 1st May, with no mention as yet as to whether that too will be lifted (although, unless there are fresh outbreaks, I suspect it will).

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #801 on: April 11, 2017, 06:30:59 pm »
My ducks will be so happy to go out on Thursday  :excited:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #802 on: April 11, 2017, 08:34:54 pm »
The note we got says that they're allowed outside, but feeding must still be indoors, footwear must still be cleaned, and other precautions to minimise risk of infection still stand.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #803 on: April 14, 2017, 07:19:45 am »
My neighbour let me know that apparently 'all restrictions' are off from yesterday according to the One Show last night. 

I am still slightly confused as the only official announcement I heard this week was about moving HRAs in England to the same status as non HRA areas which we have had here since February.  Under which they can go out but only in areas where you can prevent contact with wild birds by clearing the ground of all bird droppings and avoiding sharing access to any kind of water or food, not just what you give them.  And free range in the sense of letting birds roam in gardens and paddocks can not keep entirely 'safe' from wild birds, not that penning can either as I've pheasants, partridge, crows and all kinds of wild birds in the garden that stand the other side of whatever fencing there is, even if they can't get to feeders..

So I'm still working to a 30 April release date for complete free range where they are out most daylight hours but returned to pen for corn in the evening and to roost.  And my neighbours are confused by my approach because the BBC said it was ok and all restrictions are off as of yesterday.

Is there a Scotland based new guidance that I have missed?  Is BBC1 an appropriate source to quote if someone comes along to complain either way?
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #804 on: May 04, 2017, 09:39:35 pm »
Just when you think it's all over a new case in "a backyard flock" turns up in Lancashire  :'( :'(
Anne

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #805 on: May 04, 2017, 10:14:14 pm »
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu

Yes, you can let your poultry out but have to follow the guidance. They still intend to lift the Prevention Zone on the 15th of May. And yes, they have confirmed a new case.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #806 on: May 05, 2017, 09:10:39 pm »
This is teh link fro Scotland.  The exclusion zone ended at midnight on 30th April and mine are delighted to be out and about and enjoying teh sunshine.

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/farmingrural/Agriculture/animal-welfare/Diseases/disease/avian
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS