Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cost of rented grazing  (Read 2202 times)

milliebecks

• Joined Sep 2015
Cost of rented grazing
« on: November 12, 2016, 10:49:47 am »
What do you expect to pay for rented grazing? I realise there will be big variations both geographically and in terms of quality, but I really haven't a clue and don't want my niaivity to be too apparent when I ask the cost of a couple of options I have   :o

Liz Kershaw

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Cost of rented grazing
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 05:54:01 pm »
I'm interested in knowing more about the cost of rented grazing as well (sorry to be too useless to answer your question, milliebecks) because we're about to approach a local farmer about a field.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 07:57:16 pm »
How long is a piece of string?
I vary from paying 40p/wk/head (good clover leys and the landlord looks over them on a daily basis) to the landlord paying me 10p/wk to graze
I don't pay for anything under 10 acres

I have rented out grass keep from 35p to 75p/wk head

Average ?
grass =10p
With fencing +10p
with water + 5p 
So 25p for fenced & watered PP

Plenty of people pay plenty more but I need to make a living and only pay what I can afford
If you don't make a living out of it then it will be a different game

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 09:59:47 am »
I pay from £30/acre to £100 / acre a year, and for headage rate grazing, free to 30p per week.
Just got some good dairy grass for 3 months at 20p sheep per week.
Thats in Yorkshire.
Permanent pasture and blocks less than 7-8acres I pay only if they are within spitting distance of another bit Im renting or own, otherwise I get them free.

milliebecks

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 02:59:43 pm »
Well .... I'm very glad I asked!
I had no idea grazing could be charged per head/per week and had anticipated an annual per acre rate to be far higher.
I'm in the north of Scotland, so I don't suppose anyone would pay me to graze (because of the shortage of quality grazing locally), but I might have accepted paying over the odds for something a bit rough around the edges!
Thanks  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS