Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pickling walnuts by Wizard  (Read 3486 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Pickling walnuts by Wizard
« on: June 02, 2010, 09:32:28 am »
To make Pickled Walnuts
I have laid off sharing this with you because the walnuts are not about until the end of June.
So pick a 100 green walnuts the last week in June ( if you cannot stick a pin through them don't pickle the shell has formed and they won't pickle)
Wipe clean and prick the green with a s/s fork 2 or 3 times Don't use an old fashioned iron fork they are very sharp but contaminate the nut the old way was a silver fork now of course stainless steel (s/s)Make a brine in a plastic bucket that will float an egg and place the nuts in stir well for 9 days after this drain off the brine Fill the bucket with water and swish the nuts round to clean them and drain straight away.I have a carrot sack from the green grocer opened out and tacked on a frame .Put the walnuts on the drying frame and place in the sun for a day or two until they go black and start to wrinkle (only just start not wither up) Then place in jars and make your favourite spice pickle vinegar bring to theboil and pour over seal while the vinegar is still hot.Ready at Christmas better next Christmas they have gone softer and will spread with a knife on your roast beef sandwhich.I always add a little sugar to my vinegar as I don't like it to sharp.
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Re: Pickling walnuts by Wizard
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 02:29:37 pm »
Mmmm they're my favourites!! I'm never going to find time - Can I just buy some of yours please Wiz?!

I like them with cold pigs in blankets and cold bread sauce  :-[

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 08:38:30 pm »
Where on earth am I going to get green walnuts?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 08:41:41 pm »
I usually get mine from walnut trees. On the Earls Estate at Brocklesby. :D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS