Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep acting weird  (Read 2482 times)

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
sheep acting weird
« on: November 09, 2016, 08:05:14 am »
We have four March Ryedales - they are friendly and bucket trained.  Yesterday they didn't want their hard feed, and won't let us near them - these are sheep who love a cuddle.  It's almost as though they have been scared by something and are warey of us.   Their paddock is completely stock fenced.  There were some fireworks but not very close by - could this have cause them some stress and to act like this?

Very vague I know - maybe I should chat with the vet.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: sheep acting weird
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 08:42:28 am »
Could be the fireworks, or might a dog have got in with them?  I'd consider leaving them to calm down for a while then going and sitting quietly in a corner of the field with a bucket of feed, to let them know that you're not a threat.  Don't stare at them (you're a predator and they know it, so you could be measuring the distance with your front-facing eyes before you pounce).  If they're still skippy back off and leave them for a while longer.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 09:18:08 am »
Agree with Marches Farmer suggestion. I don't think you need to call the vet.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 12:11:58 pm »
Id say somethings given then a chase, a group of mine went off me after the badgers expanded their set into the field and started attacking when they sat down.

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 01:16:54 pm »
Thanks everyone, that is what we thought too.  They are in a paddock that is totally stock fenced and dogs shouldn't be able to get in, and we are not on any walking routes.  But we do have the odd fox about - so maybe it was that. 

Will keep an eye on them, they have eaten a little today, but are still keeping their distance which is a shame as we miss their cuddles.

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 04:13:34 pm »
Update - when we went out for our afternoon check we heard the first 'baaaa' of the week - and they came to the bucket and ate some tea.  We are cautiously hopeful.   :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS