Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ideas for cheap and easy way to get power to the lambing shed please?  (Read 6228 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Ideas for cheap and easy way to get power to the lambing shed please?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 08:32:24 am »
It comes down to money and convenience. Boiling a kettle can easily be done on gas or even get weirdly unconventional like a kelly kettle with a few sticks of wood. Gas fridges or just a cool-box and some cold packs from the freezer. For lights led's use less power = simple batteries or camping gas lamps or coleman type lamps..
Then you have the issues of fire risk..?

I own a 7kw electric start genny.. wolf brand.. cost about £400 at the time and can power most of this house in any cut... but taking that 1 mile would really need a trailer.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 10:37:21 am »
We have a caravan that provides us with hot food and drinks and a gas fridge to keep a bit of butter, milk  ( and a few cans) cold. Electricity is provided by a portable gennie which lives in the back of the truck. We are also a mile from the land and it seems to work pretty well. I am going to look at gas lights for the barn though

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 09:17:43 am »
I guess your problem with going to mains is a standing charge all year when you only need it for a month?  I wonder if there are any mains electric suppliers that cater for business use on that basis?.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 12:11:11 pm »
yes that is a possibility pharnorth -  I think I will make enquiries about the cost of connection.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 07:45:36 pm »
I doubt that wl be a possibilty. Our village has xmas light that run the mains. It has a seperate board etc but the electricity board insist that the annual standing charge applies

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS