Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recipe and quantities for helping bloat  (Read 4855 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Recipe and quantities for helping bloat
« on: November 07, 2016, 10:19:09 am »
I've looked at the long post about bloat, which is really helpful,  but I can't find the actual quantities of things to give sheep with  suspected bloat. I know that it's bicarbonate of soda, vegetable oil and yoghurt that can be given, but how much of each should be used? My sheep are big, about 70 -90 kg. I was afraid yesterday that they'd over indulged on apples and were bloated. I gave them some of the above, but didn't really know how much. They seem a bit better today, but I would like to know the proper quantities to give. They won'tbe seeing any more apples though! Thank you
4 pet sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Recipe and quantities for helping bloat
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 01:05:41 pm »
I don't think any of us weigh the ingredients... ;)

For a calf I probably want to give it about 500ml at a time, I guess a third to a half of that for a sheep.  Then more if it seems to be a good idea.

In terms of proportions, I mix yoghurt and sunflower oil to make a yoghurty oily drinky thing, add some chopped ginger, take the drinky thing with me and add the bicarb just as I'm about to administer it.  For 500ml I think I probably use about half to one rounded teaspoon of bicarb, but basically I put in enough to make it froth then administer straight away.

Whatever you gave yesterday seems to have done the trick, so how much did you use?  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 02:09:13 pm »
Thanks for your reply, Sally. I gave them about 2 tablespoons  of yoghurt, 1 teaspoon of bicarb. and a dash of vegetable oil. It frothed quite well and I gave it straight away. They're not 100% better today, but better than yesterday. They're all eating, the one that had the squits is now firming up.What you would expect - maybe  a couple of days to get over it? Thank you
4 pet sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 08:07:53 pm »
I've not had it happen very often, and in fact I think always with calves not with sheep, so I've no personal experience that I can recall of sheep getting over it.  I've had one calf needed the drench three times a day for several days, and then again about a week later, but I'd have though that usually one or two drenches would do the trick.  (The first calf didn't need to be drenched after the first two - he drank it down avidly himself, out of a bucket!)

With calves I was able to keep them in and feed only hay, which helps.  I also poo picked so I could see what they were passing - or were not passing ;)

The other thing I did is massage the taut abdomen, for several minutes, to help the rumen start moving properly again after giving the drench.  And with the calf that took a while to get fully over it, he sometimes needed a massage but wasn't bad enough to drench again after that.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 09:06:53 am »
Thanks for replying ,Sally. I'll keep an eye on them all! 
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS