Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Topping pastureland  (Read 3963 times)

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
Topping pastureland
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:06:56 pm »
We have a couple of fields of pasture - Scotland central belt - currently ungrazed, with some weeds - some throughout the field with more of a concentration on the periphery. Has anybody any advice over when topping should be carried out, how often etc. Which weeds specifically are targeted by topping - we have quite a few docks, some buttercups, not much thistle I think, and quite a few nettles round the edge? Is use of herbicides a sensible addition to topping - I was thinking of killing the larger patches of nettles at field edge but was not keen on a blanket use of selective herbicide - any thoughts on this?
Simon

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Topping pastureland
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 11:14:27 am »
If you want to stop the docks seeding you probably want to do it now - I'm NE Scotland and mine need done now so you're probably a bit ahead of us down in the sunny south  ;D I find it doesn't have any effect on the buttercups as they are so low growing. If you want to avoid chemicals put some goats or sheep in there.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 03:55:11 pm »
Topping just takes off the flower heads which reduces weeds spreading but many will continue to grow and may spread through runners and root systems.

Some weeds don't like being crushed so regular rolling will reduce the total weed population a bit, similarly use of a chain harrow. However, this is quite costly (diesel fuel and time) for not much effect.

Watch out for ragwort. If you pull or harrow them, the number of plants INCREASES!. The damaged top may die back but the root system then produces multiple plants. The same thing can happen if you pull out a mature plant. The established root system breaks apart to produce several plants. Something similar happens with thistles as well.

I use a gadget like a walking stick to deal with unwanted weeds like ragwort and docks. The stem of the stick is hollow and the foot dispenses a shot of weed killer when pressed on the weed. I make up a 15% mixture of Roundup and spend an hour now and then just knocking out the nasty weeds.

Recently, I have cleared about 70-80 ragwort plants this way from a 12 acre field. Using Roundup this way is inexpensive and low impact on the ecology of the field (Roundup isn't good for worms and other wild flowers which you prefer to keep).

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 07:32:57 pm »
Topping just takes off the flower heads which reduces weeds spreading but many will continue to grow and may spread through runners and root systems.

Some weeds don't like being crushed so regular rolling will reduce the total weed population a bit, similarly use of a chain harrow. However, this is quite costly (diesel fuel and time) for not much effect.

Watch out for ragwort. If you pull or harrow them, the number of plants INCREASES!. The damaged top may die back but the root system then produces multiple plants. The same thing can happen if you pull out a mature plant. The established root system breaks apart to produce several plants. Something similar happens with thistles as well.

I use a gadget like a walking stick to deal with unwanted weeds like ragwort and docks. The stem of the stick is hollow and the foot dispenses a shot of weed killer when pressed on the weed. I make up a 15% mixture of Roundup and spend an hour now and then just knocking out the nasty weeds.

Recently, I have cleared about 70-80 ragwort plants this way from a 12 acre field. Using Roundup this way is inexpensive and low impact on the ecology of the field (Roundup isn't good for worms and other wild flowers which you prefer to keep).

NN

NN - what is this 'gadget' please?  I need to take some action and this sound interesting
Thanks

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 02:20:26 am »
for the north east of england...

Cut in June - cut too soon
Cut in July - 'tis sure to die

Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS