Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swapping Rams  (Read 3969 times)

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
Swapping Rams
« on: November 07, 2016, 03:29:08 pm »
If I want to swap rams with another smallholder, how do we do that without putting each other on standstill? Thank you.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Swapping Rams
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 04:12:24 pm »
I would call your local animal health office to confirm, but I believe that (in Scotland at least) breeding males out doing their job are exempt from standstill regulations, so it would be fine.
I am not an animal health officer though, so I'd advise double checking first!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 04:16:11 pm »
^ Yes, that's right for Scotland (see this link). I have a feeling the rest of the UK may be different though?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 05:48:27 pm »
I think that is also the case in England- though best check the regulations as I haven't been back to double check it. I guess the logic is if you are bringing a ram in for breeding he is going to be with the ewes for more than 8'days and they aren't likely to be mixing with other stock.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 07:58:05 pm »
What an interesting question.... looks like there is an exemption to the 6 day standstill but not necessarily very easy to invoke:
Following extract from annex a of government's movement licence rules & regs - dated July 2016

"breeding ram/s will not trigger a 6-day standstill period on the premises for
breeding that they are being brought onto, provided that they are isolated
for six days in an APHA approved isolation facility. In the case of
breeding rams, ewes placed in isolation with those rams will themselves
have to spend six days in isolation. The recipient of the animals must
certify by way of a declaration that the animals have been received and
been confined in an APHA approved isolation facility for 6 days.
Any declaration to claim an exemption from standstill for breeding rams
moved to a farm (including those return unsold from a market) must be
sent to SouthWestern without undue delay accompanying the movement
document sent by the receiving keeper to report the move"

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 09:41:07 pm »
Can you do a tailgate-to-tailgate transfer in a corner of your land?  I thought there were special arrangements in place for that?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 10:01:04 am »
That exemption isn't really much of an exemption - you have to have the isolation facility already setup and agreed with APHA.

Best ring them and ask.  If they are both in transit at the same time then you should be able to get away with it.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 11:48:18 am »
As I read it when taking my female goats to male, 6 day standstill applies on return home unless there is isolation Unit,  somewhere along the line I presume the 6 days will be involved.
Can't you arrange it so you can both cope with the standstill at the same time? It'.s less than a week?
If the paperwork shows they are both in transit at the same time, different vehicles, i can't see a problem?
I was told there is something about using hard standing, away from other stock, but how would you prove that if questioned?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 11:54:17 am by penninehillbilly »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 11:55:29 am »
Forgive me if I'm wrong, Penninehillbilly, but I took the OP to be concerned about the standstill affecting the actual transfer itself.

So, for example if I take my tup to you and unload him, I instantly trigger a standstill on your holding, and thus can't load your tup up to bring him back to my place as the other half of the swap.

Have I understood that correctly Emmam?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 01:41:30 pm »
Forgive me if I'm wrong, Penninehillbilly, but I took the OP to be concerned about the standstill affecting the actual transfer itself.

So, for example if I take my tup to you and unload him, I instantly trigger a standstill on your holding, and thus can't load your tup up to bring him back to my place as the other half of the swap.

Have I understood that correctly Emmam?
Hi Womble, yes I realised that halfway through,  that's why I think if PAPERWORK shows they were both in transit at the same time, ie passing on the road, i can't see a problem, just each farm would either have isolation unit or standstill.  (hint)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 02:56:52 pm »
I believe that an "isolation" facility has to be inspected and approved by the relevant agency.  Ours was.  Involves drainage, separation from contact with any other stock, separate clothing for the livestock keeper, separate food and water supply and a boot dip, if I remember rightly.  A hurdled off corner of the yard will not do.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 06:56:15 pm »
Well I have on several occasions taken and retrieved sheep from tack on same day (to another holding that has its own sheep ... no one has questioned it yet.  (maybe I shouldn't have put that in writing  :innocent:)   ... I see no problem as long as you do the swap at same time and rams don't meet.   Its about infection transfer afterall.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 07:11:23 pm »
I see no problem as long as you do the swap at same time and rams don't meet.   Its about infection transfer afterall.

Practically speaking only (i.e. legalities aside), what's the problem if they do meet in this case?  Farm A's tup is going to transfer farm A diseases to farm B anyway, and vice-versa!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS