Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smallholding insurance - again!  (Read 3027 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Smallholding insurance - again!
« on: November 07, 2016, 08:45:19 am »
To quote from another thread:

You are responsible for your livestock which was straying on the public highway and will of course have public liability insurance to cover this

Yes of course I do Tim..... er......   :innocent:

OK, ok, I got half the way there in that I had a quote from NFU last year for public liability, product liability and employer's liability insurance. However, the quote came back at £600, which in my mind is out of the question to cover a business that turns over less than £2,000 a year (note that's turnover, not profit). So as a result, I filed the quote under a large pile of other paperwork and have spent the last 8 months pretending it isn't there  :-[.

I tried to get other quotes online this weekend, but couldn't find anywhere that even mentioned farming on their standard list of trades.

So, as per the poll, what insurances do you have in place, and if you don't mind, in the thread tell us who the policy is with, and roughly how much you pay?

Thanks all!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Smallholding insurance - again!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 09:25:47 am »
We have liabilty insurance, with the NFU am sure. All our animals are insured and the more expensive ones we are looking at getting bigger insurance for them. In my line of work you cant not afford to have insurance, because if something happens at least you have some protection, instead of nothing. We are completely insured via the NFU and so far it has been very good :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 09:27:36 am by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 01:50:41 pm »
Public liability only at the moment, because I'm still setting up rather than selling anything at the moment.  From memory the premium was just over £300, but that includes buildings insurance for the house we're renovating and contents cover for the sheds.  Policy is through Farmers and Mercantile.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 02:37:35 pm »
Wouldnt worry - someone hit your sheep with their car - they dont have a leg to stand on.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 02:39:46 pm »
Just tell them to be glad it wasnt a heavier item they drove into or they would be dead too.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 02:40:25 pm »
BTW - sorry to hear about your ewe.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 03:37:48 pm »
Because of our set up, we have NFU farm insurance with public, product and employers liability. Costs us an arm and a leg. We also have house insurance with them so there are no "gaps" in cover. (I'm pretty risk averse). The NFU Lifestyle policy doesn't have enough cover for us, even though we are a very small business.

NFUM are supposed to be launching a Smallholder policy any day now.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 09:55:58 pm »
Thanks for the replies everybody.

I should just clear one thing up - it wasn't me who had the accident, it was sheeponthebrain, who described everything in this post. It just got me thinking about insurance again though.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 11:07:46 am »
I have my NFU renewal reminder sat in front of me now as I need to increase some things since I moved.  I have my contents insurance with them and have added on the stuff for my smallholding.  I have public and employers liability included.  Price is quite reasonable now (~£300 for everything) - I got a quote from MVF and it was heaps more.
You do need public liability insurance if you have livestock.

Clay

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 03:49:36 pm »
 I would say yes you do need public liability insurance for livestock. It only needs for an animal to stray into a public road and if there was an accident you will be liable. Also if a member of public goes onto your land and something unforeseen happens again you could be liable.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS