Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When do ewe put out hay?  (Read 1853 times)

FrancesV

• Joined Feb 2016
When do ewe put out hay?
« on: November 02, 2016, 11:52:29 am »
Hi,

Does anyone know when the best time is top put out hay? We always disagree! Is there anywhere official that gives good guidelines too?

Thank-ewe,

FrancesV

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: When do ewe put out hay?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 12:07:07 pm »
Mine have hay available all year round pretty much, so that's not much use to ewe, sorry :).

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 12:07:35 pm »
When the sheep need it.

Sorry, but that's the answer.  It will vary on the sheep, what work they've been doing and are expected to do, the farm and its location, the weather, how much grazing there is...

In general, in the Cumbrian uplands where I lived until recently, if there's still grass for them to munch, and they had suitable condition to go to the tup in October or November, they won't need hay until somewhen in December, possibly not until the New Year.  If they seem hungry, or seem to be losing too much condition, you can try them with a bit of hay and see what they do - mine won't bother with hay until they need it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 12:21:48 pm »
Mine have had hay since the end of September but only really started eating it in the last couple of weeks, especially in bad weather. They eat more over night and graze in the day. If they don't need it then they won't eat it, they have grass but are following cattle grazing so don't really have the pick of the best grass.

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 12:36:22 pm »
It really does depend on lots of things, and you have to use your own judgement.  With us, I only have a limited amount of grazing and not many sheep-proof paddocks and pens. I also rotate the grazing between sheep, my 2 steers, and 2 horses. This means I can't always put the sheep in the field where there is the right amount of grass for them. You have to judge the quality, as well as the quantity of grass, and also observe the condition of the animals.

If it helps, this is how I approached it this year:

I started feeding hay to the sheep and horses on 8th October, because the grass in both heir fields was looking a bit thin and they were looking hopefully at me every time I appeared.  They were all definitely hungry and I had to top up the hayrack twice a day. The ewes also got a few scoops of pasture mix twice a day, prior to tupping (but not the rams as they were on the fat side).  I was going to make the Dexters wait a couple more weeks as their field appeared to have plenty of grass left, but then realised they were losing condition so started them on hay and a few beef nuts on 12th and they have now picked up.

Last week I sorted the sheep out. The main breeding group of 7 ewes with their ram went into a new field which had a decent amount of grass; they are barely touching their hay now, so clearly the grass in there is still giving them some nutrition and I'm only topping up the feeder every 3 or 4 days. The ewe lambs (daughters of that ram) have had to go into a very small paddock with very little grass, so they are completely dependent on hay, as are my other ram and his two ladies, who are in a separate very small pen with no access to grass.

I hope that helps!

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 01:19:30 pm »
I'm with the majority: if the sheep are eating hay then they should have it.  If the grass was any good they would not eat hay and its a bad time of year for ewes to be dieting.

We're right on the cusp at the moment - on sunny days the hay is not touched but on poor days the hay's gone.

However, if the ewes are at condition score 3 or above then perhaps a maintenance diet until the ram goes in might be appropriate.  Ewes concieve better if they are tupped while on a "rising plane of nutrition" so even if they are at the right condition, when the ram goes in start with the hay.
Never ever give up.

FrancesV

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 05:19:46 pm »

Thank-ewe all so much. I imagined there was no hard and fast rule, but these pointers are really helpful,

FrancesV  :sheep:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 06:07:07 pm »
Agree with [member=10673]SallyintNorth[/member] about this one. We don't generally feed them hay unless they start telling us to, by which I mean the searching looks they give me when I go to see them. Over winter they will generally get a big bale of good quality haylage, ad-lib, maybe some cake and definitely licks. They have that until the grass starts to come through, March-April usually, unless its a little late in the which case April-may. Hope this helps? All the best with whatever you decide! :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 07:57:03 pm »
The grass has kept growing until now - light frost expected tonight, though.  If I gave it to the Badger Face they'd glance at it and carry on eating the hedge.  It can be hard to keep condition off the Southdowns as they seem to have a slower metabolism than the BF's.  Mine get hay when all the fields except the turnout field are down to 8cm.  I do have ancient meadows, though, so different grazing to an Italian rye grass and white clover ley.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS