Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what a last few days  (Read 3858 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
what a last few days
« on: June 01, 2010, 04:52:01 pm »
by the heading of this post it might sound to you that its a positive one, but flipping
heck anything but!
me and beth went away for the weekend without kids( ;))
when we were driving home beths dad rang saying pigs were out for two days running a muck.
digging under the chicken run, turning over turf that was not for them!
these pigs have been around to long now and its time to go, but we keep getting set backs.
the flipping catalick converter now is gone on the jeep, so more cash to spend >:( >:(
the pigs are now to big(not fat) for where they are, please dont get me wrong they are not tied up in some small confined spot.
i mean they are ready for the slaughter, our pen is just right for fattening up for 6 months. hope that makes sense.
im just loading all my stress on ere at mo :D feels great.
beths dad used everything he could get his hands on to use as barriers to stop the pigs getting into any no no areas,
now i got to get the place all neat and tidy for this inspection on thursday.
ant time we have been away and beths parents have kindly looked after the place the pigs seem to go mad!
i would love to have mains electric over where the pigs are but we dont have the cash for that, only a battery supply, they trampled
the wire into the mud as if they new that it wouldnt work if they did so!!!!!!!
anyway pigs are in a new place for now till next monday for slaughter(fingers crossed), jeep hopefully will be fixed.
when these pigs go we are going to take time out and have a rethink as how to confine the next lot a bit better!!!!
sink post 3ft into concrete good strong wire all around and electric wire on the inside
langdon  :pig:
thanks for your time!!!!!!!!!!!
Langdon ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: what a last few days
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 06:49:21 pm »
some days, don't you just think how nice an 9 to 5 office job would be... 
 ;)       (only kidding   :farmer:)

keep  ;Ding Langdon, all will be well...
Little Blue

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 07:58:46 pm »
your kidding???????
im not, only kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it does have its days doesnt it, but it is a lifestyle that is worth while the living,
highs and lows.
but we got some more chicks to hatch at weekend so that is something nice ;D :chook:
hope all is well for you ;D
Langdon ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 09:09:19 pm »
hope all is well for you ;D

....good thanks. 
mr pig now in with ladies, so thats a relief.  4 hens & cockerel were moved last night in with the 10 ex-bats, and no major fights so far!
 Baby chicks doing well outside, incy has duck eggs in to hatch by the weekend - if any are fertile of course!  And planted out a load of veg in between the rain showers today.   and I'm off work this week!
And Tai Chi tomorrow, and a rare day out on Thursday to a County Show!

(I'm easily pleased!)
x

Little Blue

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 09:40:17 pm »
(I'm easily pleased!)

I think we all are - smallholders, I mean - and probably just as well!  ;D

bamford6

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 09:58:28 pm »
iff you were nere here id use the post driller and put some telegraph poles in last for ever £8 a pole cut in half and put 4 foot in the ground .its just farming all the best

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 11:33:44 pm »
We all have disasters - but isn't it strange that they all seem to come at one time?  Is that what they call 'sod's law'  I do hope things improve for you, soon, Langdon! And good luck for the inspection.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 12:01:33 am »
I am sure the inspection will go ok.  Pigs are pigs, and the inspector will know how unruly they can be!!!  You know, I have kept animals many years, and have never had an inspection .....keep getting phone calls asking how many goats, how many sheep, how many hens etc. though.  Thought with the TB problem they may have appeared here.

I do sympathise, as I have got escaping goats at the moment, so know what its like.  It sounds like the parents kept quiet until the last moment, so as not to spoil your weekend away.  Sounds like they had their hands full with your pigs!!!

Do hope you can get them away and slaughtered soon.  Vehicles can be a right pain.  Its just cost us £500 to get our old Range Rover through the MOT .....so not pleased about that.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:05:33 am by Roxy »

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 08:09:14 am »
Keep smiling Langdon  :) highs and lows is what makes life interesting I guess. What sort of pigs you got sound like Tamworths  ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 09:50:53 am »
You are dead right Gary they are the most usefull thing aren't they? For all sorts from a pole barn to store your hay and straw under to corner strainers in the field for the wire, but theres not so many about as there used to be .What with all this underground cable now adays :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS