Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "FCI Statements" where a withdrawal period exists  (Read 2683 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
"FCI Statements" where a withdrawal period exists
« on: November 01, 2016, 08:31:22 pm »

Somebody is coming to pick up a tup lamb tomorrow, that they're going to use for breeding. I've brought him into the barn and given him a jab of dectomax (the lamb, not the buyer), but it has a meat withdrawal period of 70 days.

I've put the drug details on the back of the white form (Scotland), but which FCI box do I tick?

A) "Store or breeding animals - all animals satisfy FCI statements on reverse" (which includes "Withdrawal periods have been observed for all veterinary medicines") or

B) "The FCI statements are not satisfied and the additional information described on the reverse is supplied" (which includes the statement "Confirm that withdrawal periods observed for all veterinary medicines administered....")

Logically, I don't see how I can tick either box!  The withdrawal periods have not been observed, so it can't be box A, but neither can it be box B, for the same reason!

Er, Help!? ???
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:33:44 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: "FCI Statements" where a withdrawal period exists
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 08:45:11 pm »
Your forms may differ in Scotland, but on the English ones, that whole section comes under a line that says it's for movements to slaughter, or to a slaughter market, only, so you don't need to tick any of the boxes when it's any other kind of move,
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 08:54:11 pm »
Hmmm, that may well be the intention Sally, but it doesn't read like that to me. I've attached pics of both the front and back of the form. What do you reckon?  ???  Am I just reading too much into this?  ::)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:55:42 pm by Womble »

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 09:13:06 pm »
I thiiiiiink... I would focus on the "on this holding" part of the phrase. So, say you jabbed the sheep 3 days ago, you have observed three of the required days of withdrawal on your holding, and the rest of the days will be the next keeper's responsibility?

You're right though, it's badly phrased. I'm not sure. Do you have time to ring anyone to check?

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 09:13:13 pm »
just put A.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 09:16:52 pm »

What about "FCI not relevant" option?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 10:13:31 pm »
What about (d) "Life is too short for this kind of crap anyway"  ;) .

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 01:44:24 am »
I'm sure the original intention was exactly what you've done, Womble - that the next keeper knows how long any withdrawal period should be.

I think they must have changed the English form, because seeing yours I now remember ours being like that, but now that section says only for animals going to slaughter or a slaughter market.  Which begs the question, if you're selling stores, how does the next owner know about any withdrawal...??? :o
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 07:57:40 am »
Classic bit of form not meeting purpose. Another favourite of mine was the Visa waiver for the USA which asks if you have visited a farm recently. Answer No. It doesn't ask if I live on one. I am sure that form helps their biosecurity no end. Mind you I always wash my hands first and wear clean shoes when flying.

But to the serious point, I can't see how the system enables information on withdrawal periods to be clarified when animals change hands either. It's not a problem for me, they go for breeding or straight to abbatior so it is only the latter I need to be clear on.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 08:36:46 am »
"Fci info not relevant eg. moves within a business etc" is what I tick when selling animals that have been treated, usually worming weaners for sale, and write all details I had put in my medicine book on the back for the new owner. Passing on details of withdrawal periods to purchaser is the main thing required for everyone's health and regulations.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS