Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meat quality of uncastrated rams  (Read 6114 times)

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
Meat quality of uncastrated rams
« on: November 01, 2016, 05:59:45 pm »
Hi guys

I have been hearing stories about meet 'taint' in entire ram lambs and wondered if this was an inevitable consequence with Rams?

I have an entire Suffolk ram lamb who was born last week of March so is now just over 7 months old. I also have 5 Ewe lambs and a wether of the same age. For reasons which were beyond my control I have not been able to send them to slaughter yet, but they are due to go in the next 10 days.

The entire ram I would guesstimate weighs between 55-60kg with the Ewes and wether all being well over 40 kg.

I have kept the Rams separate from the Ewes for the past 3 months although they are in adjacent fields with just stock fencing between them, so they have clear line of sight  and they can and do nuzzle at the fence.

They are fed on grass obviously and adlib lamb maize pellets.

Is the meat from the entire ram likely to be tainted? I also keep pigs and I am aware of 'boar taint' which can affect the meat of sexually active boars, but this is the first time I have heard anything about a similar 'problem' in sheep.......

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Meat quality of uncastrated rams
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 06:17:43 pm »
I've heard it can taint the meat, but I remember a few years ago we killed an entire ram lamb around November time and his meat was fine, he too had been separated from ewe lambs (we had bought it as a store lamb, otherwise our ram lambs are all castrated as management is so much easier). Whether or not they have worked that autumn may have something to do with it?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 06:58:53 pm by twizzel »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 07:31:45 pm »
I have killed ram lambs which have been active and running with ewes/ewe lambs. The meat was fine, no taint whatsoever. I think to avoid taint I wouldn't kill them if I could really smell them, the smell of a ram pumping full of it, just in case although I have a feeling some will disagree with this.... It should be ok seeing as they have not been running together. My advice would be to get them off to slaughter ASAP before any signs or smells can been seen or smelt :) All the best and there is nothing like your own lamb :yum:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 08:52:40 am »
We don't castrate our tup lambs; send them off at six months and wastold yesterday that "it's the best lamb I have ever eaten" but a customer. I wouldn't kill a sexually active ram immediately after the breeding season but I think you'll be fine.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 10:12:57 am »
Ours which are Hebs go off at 16 months, in August - no taint ever.  I wouldn't risk sending them at 19 months as that would be the middle of the breeding season. The only taint we've had was on a 7 yo tup who smelt before he went and was greasy and tainted when he came back  :yuck:  As a lamb, I think it very unlikely you'll have a problem, but if you do well hey, curry is great and hides a whole lot of sins.  Go for it and let us know how it turns out.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:36:53 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 10:55:17 am »
Thanks everyone for your comments

I will let you all know how it goes - he may not be working (for lack of opportunity) but he sure does have a twinkle in his eyes!!!!!

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 11:33:21 am »
Had 7 back from the butcher a couple of weeks ago. All sold and all said to be excellent. Sent our 2 year old ram in may and all meat sold as mutton and again good flavour with no taint. Timing appears to be the thing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS