Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Have I had the wrong lambs back from the abattoir?  (Read 4207 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Have I had the wrong lambs back from the abattoir?
« on: October 31, 2016, 10:54:34 pm »
I'll try and keep this short!

This is our second 'crop' from our sheep. We have four Jacob ewes.

Last year, the 6 lambs we had weighed between 43 and 50kg just prior to going to abattoir. Weights delivered to butcher were between 18.9kg and 24.8kg. Nice big joints, lovely.

This year, we had all twins, 8 lambs in total. I weighed them in mid August and they weighed between 34 and 42 kilos. I've taken the 5 biggest in on 25th October and three have come back at 14.1, 15.5 and 15.9kg, which seems significantly smaller. Butcher says they are all a similar size.

Same ewes, same tup, similar conditions. Have I got the wrong lambs back or is this likely to be a management issue?

Hope that makes sense and someone can give me the benefit of their wisdom.
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Have I had the wrong lambs back from the abattoir?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 12:59:09 am »
It can happen.  Some years ago we had taken Jacobs to our local abattoir, but the carcasses didn't look to be of a Jacob conformation, but had more rounded gigots.  I queried this but only proved I had the wrong sheep by determining their sexes, which didn't match what we had taken in.  They swapped the carcasses but they were still wrong.  Eventually it emerged that my lovely grass reared, tasty Jacobs had been sent off to Portugal, leaving me no choice but to accept substitutes.  I could barely eat the meat, which didn't match what I should have had.  As our own vet was in attendance, the abattoir was reported, investigated  and soon after closed down, for failing to maintain full traceability.

You should get back weight tickets from the abattoir, which will also have your name on as a cross reference.

Sorry but I can't remember dead weights of our Jacobs.  Your more recent weights would be at the bottom end to average of what we would expect from Hebrideans which are a much smaller breed than Jacobs.

Being pragmatic, before you complain you need to be sure of your facts, and decide if there is an alternative to that abattoir before you fall out with them.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 07:26:29 am »
I queried this but only proved I had the wrong sheep by determining their sexes

Pardon my ignorance, but how did you do that?  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 07:56:41 am »
Womble! The girls had breast meat
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 09:00:28 am »

You should get back weight tickets from the abattoir, which will also have your name on as a cross reference

Thanks Fleecewife, I'm more worried now! The three tickets I've seen did have my name on but any sheep could have been put through with my name on I guess?

There are still two to cut. What I can I do to confirm they are mine?

Many thanks
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 09:56:10 am »
Unless you weigh them just before sending them off you can never be sure and it'd be hard to argue with the abattoir.  They could have lost weight for any number of reasons since you last weighed them - that's what they would argue.
I wish all abattoirs would put the EID numbers on the tickets, then everyone would know for sure.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 10:09:03 am »
Womble! The girls had breast meat

Sure they did. And the boys presumably had meatballs?  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 10:39:53 am »
I queried this but only proved I had the wrong sheep by determining their sexes

Pardon my ignorance, but how did you do that?  ???

Psychology  :eyelashes:  I asked one of the slaughtermen who had come to gawp at this annoyed woman, if you could tell a male carcasse from a female one once it had no skin.  Oh yes he said, look at this and proceeded to show me which were male and which female.  I think it was that you can see where the urethra emerges, which is in a different place for the sexes.  He only realised he'd fallen into a pit when I declared that that proved they were not my sheep.  Oops!!  ;D

Princesslayer - ask your butcher to check the shape of the animals when he's cutting joints, especially the legs and rib cage.  Jacobs tend to be longer with no rounding, whereas something like a texel has very rounded gigots.  Your butcher is the expert and can judge the size and shape of each carcasse.  Even if he is totally unused to Jacobs he should still be able to confirm whether or not they are likely to be yours ie they are unlike what he's used to.  Beyond that, I don't think you can prove it one way or the other.

At the abattoir we use now, when we take in our sheep they are in a separate pen in a different place to the general 'for the butcher' sheep. The door is labelled with our name and the butcher they are going to.  We've not had a problem here at all.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:42:36 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 02:22:24 pm »
I don't know about your lambs but I do know that I weighed mine in early August and booked them in for September assuming they would put on a little weight in 4 to 6 weeks .... they didn't!   (post weaning they plateaued)   
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 05:01:42 pm »
A good few years ago I had a lamb back that apparently had three shoulders!!

orkney danny

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 08:20:59 pm »
The first time i put lambs in i thought i had gotton the wrong ones back but there was no way i could prove it at the time, so now i do it all myself, from the slaughter to the butchering, its well worth the money to do a days butchering course, and your guaranteed to get your own lambs which you have reared with so much love and attention. 

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 06:09:57 am »
Thanks all, I've had a conversation with my vet and I think it's a management issue, as we've had lots of worm problems locally. Suffice to say, lesson learned for next year!

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 08:53:49 am »
Your talking of a kill out percentage less than 40%, thats not possible without condeming part of the animal.
I think its worth asking some questions.
Jacobs kil out between 45-52% usually, most hovering in the high 40's.
Such a low kill out implies the animals grew well and frame, THEN lost weight....

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 03:45:35 pm »
35-40% is not abnormal as a kill out weight.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 05:59:39 pm »
I have read this thread with increasing interest...... I trust my abbatoir and butcher implicitely and so far nothing has gone wrong, however in the future I am going to be investing in a sheep weigher, so that I can weigh them properly before slaughter, in order to double check. This has me both intrigued and paranoid! :sofa:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 06:01:17 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS