Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rainwater Collection  (Read 2759 times)

TG

• Joined Oct 2009
Rainwater Collection
« on: June 01, 2010, 01:10:23 pm »
I have been given a 400 gal water tank by my very kind neighbour which I intend to use to collect rainwater for use on the veg patch / polytunnel.  Unfortunately the plot is about 50 meters away from then tank. So I was planning to run a buried alcathene pipe from the tank to a tap on the plot.
My question is about water pressure. I don't know if there will be enough pressure to give a decent flow at the tap or if I need to pump it.
The tank is about 6 ft high and 4ft diameter and I can raise it about 2 feet off the ground and still be able to collect from the gutter.

Any help / suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
TG

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: Rainwater Collection
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 02:50:10 pm »
hello  TG,
            as long as the bottom of the tank , ie where the pipe/tap exits the tank , is above the veggie plot , then there will be no problem of water flow. If the plot is higher than the tank outlet , then you would have to pump water up  there . You could , in that case, use one of the old cast iron replicas of water pumps , for filling buckets etc .
 If the tank IS higher than the plot and water does flow , then as long as it is for bucket /watering can  filling , there will be no problem . If you want to use a hose with pressure , then you would need a fairly powerful pump .
 Water will always flow down hill , not up hill. It will just be a slower flow than from your house tap, if you are on high pressure mains .

Also remember that water weighs about 101/4 lbs a gallon , so make sure that the tank is on a very solid , level base , ie  breeze blocks laid flat , as a 400 gallon tank could weigh 4000 lbs plus the weight of the tank when full !!! , that is not far short of 2 ton , take care.
Hope that helps ...

Cheers

Russ
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 02:55:56 pm by RUSTYME »

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Rainwater Collection
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:41:33 am »
Get a mini pump to put in the tank - problem solved!  Decent water pressure for watering crops.  Saw one used on Gardeners World only the other Sunday.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS