Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep tipping crate  (Read 3469 times)

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Sheep tipping crate
« on: October 28, 2016, 11:25:17 am »
For Christmas my wife would like a contraption that tips up the sheep and holds them whilst you can get on with inspecting their feet etc.  Any recommendations would be appreciated (other than how much wrapping paper I'll need :-))

Thanks,
Mickey

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Sheep tipping crate
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 01:05:27 pm »
For Christmas I would like a husband who will buy me a tipping crate (I'm not bothered about the wrapping paper)  :-*

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 01:43:39 pm »
I've got a second hand Commodore which does the job nicely. But it tips vertically (head over tail) rather than horizontally. Most newer makes seem to do horizontal which means you can put the crate in a run and tip without disrupting the run. Also you can tip a bigger sheep because the leverage is better

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 03:00:48 pm »
We have a W M Ironworks that does the job.  I've heard folks speak highly of their IAE crate. 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 06:16:26 pm »
Mickey - what breed of sheep do you have?  It makes quite a difference as to which make / size of crate will work best.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 07:43:19 am »
I've thought about getting a tipping crate due to my advancing age and consequent decrepitude. Also my wife complains that the sheep are getting heavier. The problem is that we keep two breeds of sheep - Castlemilk Moorits and Cotswolds. The CMM are small, active and like india rubber, so difficult to turn. The Cotswolds are just huge, some of the older ewes being about 85kgs. Are there any crates on the market that would deal with both breeds?

Regards, Dave

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 08:57:45 am »
Our W M Ironworks one has two huge adjustable "claws" that can be altered for both the size of sheep (they fit behind the front legs and in front of the back legs), and for the circumference of the sheep.  When the sheep is standing in the crate you just keep pushing the "claws" down until the sheep is firmly held, then kick a pedal at the base which releases the top catches and allows you to tip the sheep towards you, so it ends up on a metal tray in front of you.  If you've a wriggler it can be helpful to have someone to hold the back legs out of the way if you're dagging or crutching, but we've never had one escape!  If you can get to one of the NSA regional shows next year most of the sheep handling system manufacturers will be there and you'll be able to see all the crates in action.  The WM ones are supplied by Modulamb.

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 09:27:07 am »
Thanks everyone for those helpful replies.  We have Herdwicks and Blackface, one of the Blackface is huge (except when sheared!)

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 09:09:19 pm »
We have giant Zwartbles and bought an IAE crate this year. Large size but has loads of adjustment. Looks huge and cumbersome but works well. Got a big discount by ordering at one of the county shows.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS