Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do with fleece  (Read 14846 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
What to do with fleece
« on: July 22, 2008, 07:56:19 pm »
I now have three lovely coloured Ryeland fleeces, in boxes in the garage. Since this will be the best clip we'll get from the girls, I would really like something done with them, that we can keep - jumper, rug etc etc.

I will never do it myself. I can get a hand knitter relatively straightforwardly but I can't find anywhere to get the wool spun.

Can anyone help?

Also, is there anything I should do with the fleeces to keep them in good condition meantime?

Thanks

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: What to do with fleece
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 08:02:54 pm »
Diane Fisher and her mum  Jane spin fleece by hand; they did this from one of my ouessant fleeces not that long ago.
If you need details just let me know they are UK based;
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 12:06:01 am »
Get together with some more coloured ryland breeders, make up a batch of 25 kg and get in touch.....I can sort it for you to have it commercially spun!

If you just want your own spun you will need to go down the hand spun route :)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:21:41 am »
Thanks for this - I'm on it today!

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 04:18:17 pm »
I have my first ryeland fleeces ready in boxes. I am having a spinning lesson tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on  :-X
Karen

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 07:30:40 pm »
I spoke to a hand spinner today - she charges £4 per oz to spin. It takes 35-40oz to knit a jumper.

We have about 10kg; that's 22lb or 352oz; 2/3 will be spinable ie 230oz i.e. £1000.

Expensive jumpers!

How much is it commercially, wooly shepherd?

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 09:47:50 pm »
I just took 34 kilo of coloured ryeland fleeces to the wool board and got an advance payment of 2p per kilo.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 07:59:45 am »
Surely you get more than that!

I was really wondering how much it was to get it spun commercially but I'm gob-smacked. 2p per kilo isn't the final price surely

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 12:25:49 pm »
Total amount I got for last years coloured fleeces were 0.09p per kilo. I also took in 68 kilos of white fleece and had an Interim payment of 0.12p per kilo. Legally you are supposed to be registered with the wool board if you have (I think) over 3 sheep. I think personally that we are being ripped off., just look how much a pure new wool anything is.
Any idea what I can do with next years coloured fleeces and my one alpaca fleece?
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 02:34:09 pm »
I checked the BWMB website - if you have four or more adult sheep, you are required to register with them. I will be looking into this more. On their webite the opening page it had prices but I can't make head nor tail of them. I think I will give them a ring - the website's not clear to me. Do I HAVE to register with them if I'm happy to sell my own fleeces or what.

I should have stuck to pigs.

rustyme

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 03:16:40 pm »
hello Rosemary,
                   on the tv a while ago a farmer was saying he was getting about .5p a fleece for the good stuff, and was losing on the lower quality . He , however , was shearing over a thousand sheep .The same farmer also said that in the late 60's and early 70's , you could pay the rent of a farm for a year or buy a tractor with the money you got for a thousand fleeces, now you can't even fill the fuel tank with the money from the same amount.  Anyone with only a few sheep really would be hard pushed to make any money IF, they sold to the wool board. All wool has to go through them (if you have over 4 sheep) it was meant to stabalize the price of wool ....lol.  If , however , you have 4 sheep and then Dan has 4 sheep and then an aunt has 4 an uncle has 4 , then there is no need to register and sell at a loss to the wmb. As for spinning the fleece, if you don't have enough to get it done comercially , then you could spin it with a drop spindle. Very easy to learn how to use, and it is amazing how much you can do in a short time. I think i did enough for a woolly hat in an evening years ago , and that was when I was still learning how to use it !!!. My late mum knitted the hat though .

cheers

Russ

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »
At those prices I would not sell to them on principle  >:( I had my spinning lesson and did not do too bad. Someone is going to lend me a wheel to practice on and if I am happy I hope to have one bought for my significant birthday in October  ::) I can knit and fancy a waist coat to wear at home during the colder months and then I will be able to turn down the heating a degree or so. I'm not fussy what it looks like as I will only wear it at home. As I get better I hope to sell some of the wool to knitters at work  :)
Karen

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 08:28:20 am »
Try finding somewhere to store that many fleeces.

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 06:45:26 pm »
The woman teaching me to spin tells me that she paid £20 for her first fleece  :o I have seen Jacob fleeces for sale on ebay at around £5 - not sure if this includes P&P. Have also seen alpaca fleeces but not sure of the price. Is there not a local spinners guild that would buy them from you for more than you are selling them for now. I hate to be or see people being ripped off.
Karen

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 08:10:01 pm »
There is a saying around here that they are Cardi's (not very free with their money). Have found a mill in Brecon that will spin wool in quantities of 25 kilos, so will be looking into that. Have had a sign outside my place for the last week "Alpaca Fleece For Sale", not even one enquiry.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS