Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pooey pup  (Read 3747 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Pooey pup
« on: May 31, 2010, 11:08:18 pm »
Poor old Dugg has had the squits since last Thursday. Seems well enough in himself and eating up all his food but the consequences........... oh dear javascript:void(0);

During the day it's OK as he is outside most of the time but the last couple of nights have been - er - interrupted - to say the least. javascript:void(0);

There is no blood in his poo although I think it is quite mucousy at times and he is lively enough - drinking plenty and behaving much as usual. He is fully vaccinated.

He is now on a 24hr fast and then just some pasta/cottage cheese/egg little and often tomorrow and Wednesday and then I plan to gradually reintroduce his normal feed. He usually has Purina puppy dry stuff which we soak in water

Does anybody have any other suggestions about what else we should be doing or looking out for?

I expect he has just sneaked off and eaten something disgusting and developed a non-infective colitis.

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Pooey pup
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 11:11:42 pm »
You can actually use diaorrhea tablets for dogs, depending on the age of the pup, but to be honest a 24hour fast then bland diet for a couple of days should do the trick.  You're probably right - of he is outside all teh time he'll have eaten something that disagreed with him.  Usually with mine it's mice and voles the cat has killed ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 08:58:16 am »
Yippee - no accidents last night and - BOY!!! - was he pleased to see something in his bowl this morning!!

Thanks for your advice.

Fingers crossed things will be a little better today.javascript:void(0);

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 08:01:19 pm »
It's amazing what they do eat!!!!! I took our pups out and they kept heading for the horse poo, managed to stop them most of the time!!!!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 02:10:32 pm »
Horse poo is actually a tonic for dogs and providing the horse has been wormed it will do no harm. It stimulates their appetite. Couldn't fancy it myself though.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 02:50:41 pm »
Best not to watch! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 08:25:47 am »
The funny thing is, they do not seem to like all the horse poo, they are selective for some reason.

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 09:07:44 am »
My dogs used to stuf themselves silly when they lived at the stables, they dont go to the horses now so have that ingredient in the their diet removed.

Couple of weeks ago my bitch JRT had the same sort of thing, I too reckon she had eaten something, probably rabbit bowel or something ( I have caught her eating that before! ), she just had dry biscuits for a couple of days then came good.

They have had there wormer this morning so will see if there has been any effect by what they are eating, got 2 new springer pups coming next month so thought we better get em wormed before they arrive which is before they are due, but just in case so any evidence can be picked up and disposed of.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS