Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shell-less egg  (Read 2041 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Shell-less egg
« on: May 30, 2010, 11:15:05 pm »
Hubby came across shell-less egg today (I was out at the time so didn't see it)

I have heard about soft shelled eggs but this sounded like an egg with no shell at all. He says the egg was unbroken and there was no broken shell bits lying around nearby.

Could a hen lay an unshelled egg?????

Bizarre!!

Susanna

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Shell-less egg
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 08:48:02 am »
we've had some of them in the past, in fact one of mine is still laying them come to think of it.  I think its sometimes young birds just starting to lay or if they have had any big changes (move house etc) or even diet - not enough oyster shell grit.  ours is young bird who's usual nest box has been taken over by 'moody broody' ( I have to keep turfing her out to the sin bin) and I think its caused a bit of upset to this particular hen.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

spencers mum

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 09:33:05 am »
Hi there  :wave:we've had a fair bit of this and the advice i was given was to up calcium levels ie greens, worms and make sure they are taking grit.  I also crush up old 'baked' egg shells and put that in with their corn/grit and they seem to eat that more than the grit. Hope this helps

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 09:53:36 pm »
Thanks very much. We'll be off to get grit tomorrow.

Relieved to hear that it's not a unique problem!!

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS