Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smallholding in Scotland - SAC Farm Advisory Service subscription  (Read 5053 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Well, smallholdings now have their own page on the ScotGov website. http://www.gov.scot/Topics/farmingrural/Agriculture/agricultural-holdings/Smallholdings

We also have access to a subscription to SAC Farm Advisory Service for £69 plus VAT a year. Click through the link at the top of the ScotGov page.

I'm not sure what some of the things you get for your subs are - Farmtext for example. Maybe some crofters on here that have used the service can tell us? [member=25668]oor wullie[/member] [member=28644]Hamish Crofter[/member]

I think I might sign up.

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
Re: Smallholding in Scotland - SAC Farm Advisory Service subscription
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 08:07:32 pm »

I've not used it I'm afraid.......

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 07:54:04 am »
I've not used it either.  In fact I don't know anything about it.

If you do sign up do report back to let us know what services you get and how worthwhile it is.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 09:45:48 am »

If you do sign up do report back to let us know what services you get and how worthwhile it is.

I think that's what someone will have to do  :innocent:

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 11:35:54 am »

I think that's what someone will have to do  :innocent:

And I think you are the person best placed and with the best abilities to find out all we need to know and to share the information far and wide................ :)

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 12:25:22 pm »
Just looked at the link. 20,000 small holdings (est) in Scotland is quite a sizeable number of households.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 12:45:23 pm »
There nearly 20 000 crofts in Scotland (although that doesn't mean there are 20 000 crofting households) so I can easily believe there are just as many small holdings.

An underrepresented demographic I would suggest.

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 10:58:56 am »
Hi Rosemary,

I think I'm going to sign up for it - I'll probably give them a call later today.  I went down to the smallholders meeting they were running in the borders.  It was only a few hours but for a relative newbie it was still really useful (hopefully they will be rolling these type of events in other areas of scotland).
Part of the subs is upto 2 hrs of advice, I'm thinking that might be worth the subs alone. 

Even if I only keep it going for a year or so...

Cuddles

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 11:10:53 am »
I'm also going to subscribe and have signed up for three events being held in Forfar.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 04:30:47 pm »
I went down to the smallholders meeting they were running in the borders. 

Eh... when, where? Advertised where?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 11:03:07 am »
I wish there were something similar for those South of the Border.  It's something I've been grumbling to our vets about for years.  Apart from Red Tractor (quick, hide the broken feed trough, the inspector's here tomorrow) there's nothing to distinguish our stock, kept closed and to the highest possible standards, from anyone else's.

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 10:03:48 pm »

Hi Anke, sorry I've only just seen your post... Have a look on the FAS website: https://www.fas.scot under the events section - you can even narrow it down by region. 
They are running a number of different sessions across the country.  I think the initial borders meeting was one of the first rolled out across the country - but I don't think they've held any subsequent meetings.  If you want I can PM you the email address of the people that were running it?

I've been to a few of the FAS events and they've been brilliant so far... and for a self confessed miserable scotsman thats high praise!  ;D

Cuddles.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 07:05:52 am »

Hi Anke, sorry I've only just seen your post... Have a look on the FAS website: https://www.fas.scot under the events section - you can even narrow it down by region. 
They are running a number of different sessions across the country.  I think the initial borders meeting was one of the first rolled out across the country - but I don't think they've held any subsequent meetings.  If you want I can PM you the email address of the people that were running it?

I've been to a few of the FAS events and they've been brilliant so far... and for a self confessed miserable scotsman thats high praise!  ;D

Cuddles.

Thanks, will have a look.

mjlawrie

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 04:21:48 pm »
Hi All
I'm a consultant with SAC, so can let you know what you can get for your subsidised subscription.  Farmtext is a service that we have where we text out local meetings, updates (e.g. a reminder about deadline for basic payment forms, changes to cross compliance rules, greening regulations), etc.  You don't need to sign up for this service if you'd rather not get texts from us, but they are carefully selected and only sent out if we think something is of interest or is important. 

You can use the two hours of advice however you like, for example telephone advice for a quick query about sheep tagging, or an office visit for help with grant applications, grassland management, rations for livestock, soil results advice etc. 

I hope that helps!

Mary-Jane

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 06:12:50 pm »
I'm going to use my two free hours and my two cut price hours for my Small Farm Grant application  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS