Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Using honey instead of sugar in cakes and other recipes  (Read 9311 times)

dan_golding

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Mid West France
    • Tree Frog Farm
Using honey instead of sugar in cakes and other recipes
« on: July 21, 2008, 08:26:18 pm »
Our lil' ladies have been ever so busy and as a result we've got lots of honey (with even more to come in the next few weeks!!!)

In every bee article we've read, they all say that you can use honey instead of sugar but does anyone know if it's a 1-to-1 swap and what about consistency etc.

I'm thinking, in particular, of a victoria sponge type cake - do I just replace the 175grams of sugar with 175grams of honey?

If so, won't it be a bit too sticky and gooey?

Any advice would be gratefully received as we are keen to do our ladies proud  :)

Thanks

Dan

rustyme

Re: Using honey instead of sugar in cakes and other recipes
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:25:28 pm »
hello Dan ,
            I have tried a few things where I replaced sugar for honey and it is equal amounts or near enough . You may have to adjust any water a little bit , but that would be found out by trial and error. I would just go for the equal amount at first and then adjust on the next one. The sugar replacement thing was why I got bees in the first place. The only thing you have to watch if you take sugar in coffee or tea , is if you use honey in those you have to use a bland tasting honey , otherwise everything tastes tangy. I expect it would be something you would get used to , but I like my tea and coffee to taste of tea and coffee , so I use very bland honey for that purpose when I have it. In all other things I tried it in , it tasted fine even maybe a bit better than with sugar , but I am not sure if that was me being a bit biased for my bees.

cheers

Russ

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Using honey instead of sugar in cakes and other recipes
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 02:35:32 pm »
hiya i have shop bought honey instead of sugar, I find that you need to add it 1st then add the hot water it 'melts' better and isn't left in the cupa at the end i have also found that i uses half a spoon of honey for one spoon of sugar
hope this helps
(if anyone now of local honey producer to me, and you let me now)

Linz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS