Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red leaved basil suicide  (Read 1569 times)

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
Red leaved basil suicide
« on: May 30, 2010, 02:14:46 pm »
Last weekend I planted several herbs and salad crops, of which the first to appear just three days later was some red leaved basil in two separate pots. They were coming on really well, most looked quite strong - and then rather suddenly I noticed over half of them had simply fallen over. On closer inspection their lower stem had shrivelled up. At present I have just two remaining and one of those already looks like it's on the way out.

I couldn't see anything obvious initially, but I recall watering from the top the day before they started to die. Could this be it? Should I have placed a tray underneath the pot and placed the water in there instead? If that seems unlikely, are there any other thoughts? I'm going to be planting some more soon and hoping to have a bit more luck next time!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Red leaved basil suicide
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 03:24:15 pm »
sound like it could be "damping off" disease - a bacteria in the water (I think!)
Get some cheshunt compound to mix in your water, and as you said, try not to water fron above so the leaves get wet.
Little Blue

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
Re: Red leaved basil suicide
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 03:27:43 pm »
Thanks, I'll give that a go on my next try.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS