Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worms and mowing  (Read 2918 times)

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
worms and mowing
« on: October 10, 2016, 11:09:39 am »
Does anyone know if mowing has a similar effect to making hay for cleaning up wormy sheep pasture?  We traditionally lamb in the same field every year because it is closest to the house and you can see the whole field from the gate.  I don't have the kit (or weather) to make hay but I might be able to mow with a mulching mower.
Never ever give up.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: worms and mowing
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 12:54:46 pm »
No .   Making hay only reduces the worm numbers as it is not grazed for  maybe 3-4 months and then it is cut very close to the ground so desiccation  kills any surviving , but not all  and you don't cut 100% of the field       

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 02:11:13 pm »
Can you split the field with electric fencing so you'd be able to give the lambs cleaner grazing in half of it from 2018?

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 06:16:54 pm »
 :-\ Yes, no, maybe.  Thought horns and lecky did not mix.  I have got to do something. :thinking: Thank you for the suggestion.
Never ever give up.

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 03:32:55 pm »
You could let someone graze their cattle on it for a bit, maybe a week or two a few times a year? Alternatively you could get some calves, maybe a couple of heifer calves, bring them up with the sheep and keep them mixed grazed and maybe have them as house cows? :thinking:
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 12:44:25 pm »
If there is no other way it's worth trying?  Mow now, but collect mowing,  no animals on for 6 month? Should help.
I've thought of having cows on as well, but not practical yet.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 02:52:09 pm »
So how long does land have to be left without livestock on it before it can be considered 'worm free'?  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 09:01:38 pm »
So how long does land have to be left without livestock on it before it can be considered 'worm free'?  ???
A year without sheep will dramatically reduce the pasture worm burden
Best killer of worm eggs is UV light which is why taking a cut of hay is good as it exposes the plant base and worm eggs to sunlight
Extreme cold also helps but not as much

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 09:24:11 pm »
So not to be funny, couldn't you use a long acting wormer to achieve the same thing? For example, Cydectin LA says it gives protection for up to 111 days (very precise eh  ;) ). So four injections back to back would give protection for a year.

The obvious problem is that you can't slaughter animals under treatment, but apart from that, is such a plan a possibility, or am I wrong as usual?

The reason I ask is that I'm still kicking myself for having let our grazing the year before we had sheep of our own. Then when we bought our first ewes, the vet told me to worm them and then put them onto dirty pasture so they would pick up our local worms (usually the right advice, but of not this time IMHO!). Of course if I could find a way to reset the clock and then keep a closed flock.........
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 10:15:02 am »
I can manage 11 months clear and mow it the rest of the year.  I can't face cows, they're just too big and strong. 

I like the idea of long acting wormer but that might be what got me into trouble in the first place , I guess I have a resistance issue.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Never ever give up.

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 11:02:10 am »
You mentioned it being your lambing field. are you sure it's worms and not coccidiosis?

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 12:29:24 pm »
Nothing's certain.  I'll look it up.
Never ever give up.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 10:42:35 pm »
So not to be funny, couldn't you use a long acting wormer to achieve the same thing? For example, Cydectin LA says it gives protection for up to 111 days (very precise eh  ;) ). So four injections back to back would give protection for a year.

In theory this could work but there would be problems with resistant worms etc and I wouldn't advise it

People do use cydectin on their ewes and hence reduce egg output and burden ...this helps the lambs but has also made a significant contribution to anthelmintic resistance

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS