Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electronic ear tags  (Read 3694 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Electronic ear tags
« on: May 30, 2010, 07:40:06 am »
I noticed on another forum, not always noted for its accuracy that electronic ear tags for pigs is going to be introduced next.  I know its due for lambs born after July 1 this year.  Has any one any further information?  The cost of electronic ear tags will put my weaner prices up somewhat, as I tattoo at present.  Would be interested/grateful for any further information.

Re: Electronic ear tags
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 09:37:06 am »
Hi,

As far as I can gather, there is nothing in the pipeline for this (yet!).

Most new defra rulings are subject to consultation first, with the proposals being mede public here: http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/foodfarming.htm

However, some commercial pig growers already choose to use EId for their own recording purposes.

Eid is not as bad as made out, OK it increases the tag price from say 10p to about £1.10, but on a commercial scale that cost is recovered by the speed of recording animals - ie you dont have to catch and try to read the tag as you can scan it as the animal runs through a race.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 12:51:23 pm »
HI thanks for that.  Does that mean that the tags can only be read by a reader or do they still carry a visible id no. ?  Most of my neighbours dont tag their sheep as they have a very laisez faire attitude to most EU rules, so I am unable to look at their sheep tags for an idea.

bamford6

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 12:58:28 pm »
all pigs sheep lambs will have to be tags. we have been told that iff no tags are not present they Carnot be sold or used for food its only time before this comes in . to kill a sheep pig etc you will need to have passport and tags .the thefts off animals is massive at the moment .whts stooping stealing 4 lambs with no tags on and then putting mine on ,,,,,,,

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 01:27:03 pm »
HI thanks for that.  Does that mean that the tags can only be read by a reader or do they still carry a visible id no. ?  Most of my neighbours dont tag their sheep as they have a very laisez faire attitude to most EU rules, so I am unable to look at their sheep tags for an idea.

All the EID Tags I have seen and sold dont have any visible numbers on them, if you want to be able to read the numbers manually you need to tag the other ear with a visual match-up tag.
all pigs sheep lambs will have to be tags. we have been told that iff no tags are not present they Carnot be sold or used for food its only time before this comes in . to kill a sheep pig etc you will need to have passport and tags .the thefts off animals is massive at the moment .whts stooping stealing 4 lambs with no tags on and then putting mine on ,,,,,,,

Agreed - but thats the case in UK at the moment - all animals have to be tagged (or slap marked in the case of pigs) only cattle currently have passports.

Who knows what the future plans will be - but I can guess that things that make life easier for the large farmer will make things harder for the smallholder / small producer.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 06:24:46 pm »
The problem with electronic tags for extensive pigs is that no one has invented a tag that is guaranteed to stay in the pig's ear. At 10p a shot, that's an inconvenience; at £1.10 it's a luxury many could do without!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 07:10:27 am »
I'm old fashioned, I still tattoo their ears.  So far no one's ear has fallen off.   ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS