Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making bacon  (Read 2565 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Making bacon
« on: May 29, 2010, 08:56:32 pm »
We had a chat with our local butcher today about the possibility of him butchering our two Tamworths in October.

We chatted a bit about bacon and he said he would vac-pac whatever we wanted with a cure. He said it only needed five days. We bought a sample of said bacon which was delicious.

I always thought it took weeks to cure bacon and what about this business with immersing it in a bucket of water..... and what about smoking in amongst all this????

I am now very confused. Don't have HFW book but am planning to get it.

Can anybody enlighten me?

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Re: Making bacon
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 09:40:57 pm »
Hi,

Normally "natural" cures (salt water + flavourings) can take anywhere between 3 days and a few weeks (depending on dry or wet cure) - this is the type we normally use for our bacon, then we usa a "knocked together" cold smoker and some applewood to smoke for 4 or 5 hours.

We also supply the type of cure butchers use, which is in powder form, you rub this on the meat, put in bags or vac-pac and after 4 days the job is done, if you want smoked then you use a "smokey" cure.

thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 07:36:58 am »
Our dry cure basically finely ground salt, pepper and sugar is applied to the loin (only bit we cure as bacon) bagged and sealed, left in the fridge for 1 day per 1/2 inch thickness (measured at the thickest part) but never for more than a week.  At the end of that time we wash off the bacon and leave for a further day uncovered in the fridge.  It is then chilled, sliced and eaten.

Why not buy a piece of really cheap supermarket belly and practice on that until you have the perfect recipe, then when you do your next pigs have a go yourselves.  I am sure it will be even tastier than the butchers (IMO it always is when its your own).

We did try a commercial smoked cure, which I found very disappointing.  The people I gave the remainder of the cure to (I optimistically bought a lot) were in all cases also very disappointed.  If you want smoked again inmy opinion it is far better to invest in a smoker.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 09:29:16 am »
hello Suzi My 3 pennyworth There is Bacon and there is bacon.read my story about killing the pig 60 yrs ago.If you do it like that it will keep without refridgeration 2 or more years but it needs to be left in water over night to get the salt out.Ham and bacon cured this way is very salty and needs to be soaked for a day cut the piece off you require and place it in a bowl of water when you are ready to go to bed change the water.Then cook it next day.I am sure there are people on here will tell you that this piece of pig tastes nothing like any you buy in the supermarket.Make a little experiment From your local supermarket buy one of those gammon rolls they are 1 kg and are in a plastic cook as is round.Put an inch of cooking salt (Don't use Saxa Table Salt its been Iodised to keep it free running)((If you are interested weigh the meat dont forget it weighed a kilo).Place the roll of meat down on the salt and put a pinch of pepper and a teaspoon of brown sugar in a mug and half fill with salt stir it well up and put half on the bare face of the meat roll rub it well in.Turn the meat over and do the other side wipe the salt off thats stuck on and pour the rest out the mug on and rub it in then cover the whole thing in cooking salt Next day give it a rub You will find the salt has gone very wet Do this for 4/5 days Then take it out and brush it dry of salt.Do not wash it you have just spent a week getting the water out why put it back in by washing it.Place it in an old pillow case and hang it in a airy place to dry In 3 months place it in a bowl of water overnight and in the morrow boil it as you would as if you had just bought it home from the supermarket You now know the difference between proper cure and modern methods Gammon is made in a wet cure and it won't keep very long look at the best before date I'm promoting at least 18 months my way.Go on have a go you have only wasted a fiver if you don't like it not a whole pig ??? :D :wave: :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 02:42:17 pm »
Very helpful. THanks very much .

I will certainly do a few experiments. I hadn't thought of trying methods out on shop-bought cuts.

Great.

THanks

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS