Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling at market  (Read 1617 times)

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
Selling at market
« on: October 07, 2016, 01:46:51 pm »
Hello. Despite having kept sheep first few years now, I've not sold live at a market until tomorrow.

Idiots guide please?? Fees? What do I put on movement form for "new keeper" do I put market address??

Do I wash trailer out there after unloading?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Selling at market
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 02:37:52 pm »
Fees - I assume you mean commission?  The auction will be able to tell you these. Round here they still believe in luck money too! Have you booked them in? You don't generally need to but if you are not in their system you need to go into the office tomorrow and register.

Licence - is this the paper form? Top box is you. Second box Market details. If you are using ARAMS I wouldn't know but it should show movement from you to the market.

You don't have to wash out there.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Selling at market
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 03:10:45 pm »
This is how our market (Hereford) works.  All stock has to be pre-booked, with the exception of culls.  You fill in all of sections 1 and 2 of the AML1.  Put the market "XYZ Livestock Market" as the destination address.  Tick the box below the Individual Identification panel at the top right for Moving animals to a Central Point Recording Centre (top box).  Put your flock no., then all the individual tag numbers in that top panel.  All ovines must be double tagged for our market.  Take spare tags and tagger with you just in case one's lost on the journey.  Take a container of water and a bucket and some hay in case you break down en route. 

When you get to the gate there'll probably be someone taking the form - you'll get part of it back.  You could ask him if you've filled it out correctly.   He'll give you a cleanse form which you have to fill in and hand in at the gate as you leave, and tell you where to unload.  Once the sheep are off the trailer stay with them and look helpless. Someone will move them to a pen. You then wait with them until the market porter comes along, takes your details and another bit of the form and asks you how you'd like them sold (as a batch or individually).  You then hand in the cleanse form, park up the trailer and go to the market café for an English breakfast and mug of tea.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS